My new Java ferns

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Java fern will grow anywhere.

I've currently got a TON of it, both tied to stuff (use twist ties....much easier than fishing line....) and stuffed in sand, gravel....hell, had a bag of it on my table for a MONTH, and it was still viable and flourishing!

Java fern won't rot if stuffed into the sub. It will grow out and root like crazy.

Super easy plant to grow.

Get water wisteria too. Stuff is a weed....haha. Grows fast, and bushes out lioe crazy when.trimmed. Great for the back of a.big enough tank.

Here’s their card. You can order directly or from eBay. View attachment 145985
Oh yah, ive heard of that shop... They actually have a website thats not on Ebay you know... But, im getting mine from an Etsy seller that sells his stuff cheaper on Ebay. His shop is called Carson's Aquatics and he has a forever deal happening on certain plants where its buy 2 get 1 free! And this other seller has a really cool deal on his java ferns where its $25 for 5 ferns! (I forget that shop name)

Oh yah, ive heard of that shop... They actually have a website thats not on Ebay you know... But, im getting mine from an Etsy seller that sells his stuff cheaper on Ebay. His shop is called Carson's Aquatics and he has a forever deal happening on certain plants where its buy 2 get 1 free! And this other seller has a really cool deal on his java ferns where its $25 for 5 ferns! (I forget that shop name)
Thanks, I’ll check that out.

Is this a Java? It’s one that’s growing well after being shoved in the gravel. It would be hilarious if
CDC29D92-F8F7-4B78-A22F-7AE47EE004FA.jpeg
it‘s not a Java. 😛😛😛o

i ordered two more pots from the recent seller. Decided I‘m too lazy to remove the others from the substrate. Will tether incoming plants next to others as described here & observe.

Yes, that is JF....and it won't last long with the rhizome buried...if it were in sand, it probably would be dying already

The only Java the local fish store had is much taller, but looks the same. I’ll ask the ebay seller.

The size of the leaves or fronds of aquatic plants is not usually a good indicator of species unless the plants are grown in specific conditions. What I mean is, the longer leaves/fronds on the plants in the store compared to shorter leaves/fronds on your plants cannot be used to say they are different species or varieties. Many plants will develop differently according to conditions from water parameters, light, or nutrients. And of course being grown emersed (as most nurseries do when the plants are amphibious as are Java Ferns) rather than submersed can make a vast difference.

What would my fish and axies think of potassium?

Always avoid adding specific nutrients (with a very few exceptions) as it can create an imbalance and cause more problems for plants. Fish obviously do not need any of these, axolotls I do not know but would be very cautious. Having said that, potassium is less likely to be harmful than most other nutrients (iron, copper, zinc, manganese, etc). Also0, plant deficiencies are not easy to asses, as the same symptom can be caused by more than one nutrient problem, including deficiency and excess for some.

Are the thin tendrils hanging from the tops rhizomes? Should they be left as is, or cut & planted? Thanks.
No.
The rhizome is the bulky mass at the base of the leaves, that you have buried. This shouldn't be buried, or else it will rot.
The 'tendrils' are rootlets, providing nourishment to the baby ferns growing on the leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back