My New Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oscar Betta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got 2 goldfish yesterday at my local pet store, and there names are Rex and Riley. These are not that good of pics, but they were swimming around and checking everything out so I couldn't get that good of pics.

Tank- (5 gallons, when they get bigger, I will upgrade tank) (has filter)
goldfishandfrogs002.jpg

Rex-
goldfishandfrogs003.jpg

goldfishandfrogs004.jpg

Riley-
goldfishandfrogs005.jpg

goldfishandfrogs006.jpg

(Just wait a sec. and the pics will re size smaller)

Your tank is far far too small for these fish to be kept in for any amount of time, please do some research into the proper keeping of fancy goldfish, it's not as easy as people think.

I have it says this is fine. As I said in my post, I will upgrade their tank as they get bigger.

To be honest, I don't believe anything below 10gal is big enough to house goldfish. Even if it is temporary.
Particularly judging by the size of your two fish. They already need an upgrade from that 5gal if you look at their proportions.

Also, is the filter cycled?

As for the actual fish...they're cute. And if looked after properly could be with you for up to 20 years!

I have it says this is fine. As I said in my post, I will upgrade their tank as they get bigger.

Does it say "Goldfish starter tank" or something on those lines? It is just trying to sell you something that is improper. A fancy goldfish needs at least 20, much preferably 30gal, for one. These fish get about 8-10in big. For these two fish, a 40gal tank would be the proper size tank. Double filtration is a must. Not upgrading very soon may stunt their growth. You better act quick...

To be honest, I don't believe anything below 10gal is big enough to house goldfish. Even if it is temporary.
Particularly judging by the size of your two fish. They already need an upgrade from that 5gal if you look at their proportions.

Also, is the filter cycled?

As for the actual fish...they're cute. And if looked after properly could be with you for up to 20 years!
Yes the filter is cycled, and I hope to upgrade the size soon 10gal.

Does it say "Goldfish starter tank" or something on those lines? It is just trying to sell you something that is improper. A fancy goldfish needs at least 20, much preferably 30gal, for one. These fish get about 8-10in big. For these two fish, a 40gal tank would be the proper size tank. Double filtration is a must. Not upgrading very soon may stunt their growth. You better act quick...
40gal for 2 young goldfish? :huh:

They aren't a whole lot bigger then my betta fish and he is in a 2.5 gal, and he is doing fine.

They need to be in a 10Gal now, this should last for around 3 months.
Then they'll need a 20gal, this should last for 6 months
Then they'll need a 30-40gal, which should hopefully last them long term, but you should assess after a year if they have reached full size. If they aren't at 6" (at least) after 18months then they'll probably need another upgrade, as they should be 6" after 18months, and if they aren't then they may well be being stunted.

And they are bigger than you betta bioload wise. Bioload wise each one will be worth around 4x a betta. So in the 5gal you potentially have 8x the waste you have in your bettas tank

I agree with all the above you really need to research these fish, try the coldwater section they have a great pinned article about it.

Stunted fish die early, and curiosity is spot on with those tank reccomendations.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back