My New Girl!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys! I went for a trip to the local chain pet store today, (Yeah, I know...) and was looking at the bettas in the cups. Poor guys... A particular female betta caught my eye. Her fins were a lot longer than the other females, yet I noticed her ovipositer, so I guess she certainly is a female. (I guess...?) She was pretty pale at the store, and I couldn't help but get her. :look: But as soon as I put her in my 10 gallon, she brightened up like crazy.

Here are some pics. Her fins are REALLY long for a "female":

And here's so you can see her ovipositer:

Thanks for reading. :)
Btw, her name's Lily. :)

-f_f!

She looks young, juvvie males can have the egg spot too. What size is she?

Thanks, guys. I didn't know juvie males could have an egg spot. I always thought it was no egg spot: male, egg spot: female.
(S)he's about an inch to an inch and a half long.

yeah, growing males can have the 'egg spot', She is most prob a she, the next month will tell for sure but don't worry. Long tailed females confuddle me lol

I had a female this same color with same long fins, mine dropped eggs shortly after I got her and thats how I was sure she was a female :good:

Thank you guys. :) The eggs spot is still there, and (s)he's still doing fine. :) I'll make an update one day of this. :lol:

Ive definetely say thats a girl, girly body shape to me too.

Are you sure young males can have an egg spot too? That sounds very off to me, and ive never heard anything like that :blink:

it is true that juvi males can have a false egg spot. id say this fish is female tho from the body shape. she is very nicely colored! so vibrantly red :) reminds me of a cherry barb.
all the best and thanks for sharing.
cheers

Thank you very much. :) Her fins are already a little longer, and she's doing great. :) I have her with some livebearers now.She loves the company, though she was a little curious at first. I hope to make a sorority.

Thanks again.
-f_f!

Thank you very much. :) Her fins are already a little longer, and she's doing great. :) I have her with some livebearers now.She loves the company, though she was a little curious at first. I hope to make a sorority.

Thanks again.
-f_f!

Awww she's adorable, I love her! :) I'm glad to hear she is doing well and that she enjoys her company of other fishies!

Most reactions

Back