My New Crab Tank! (With Pics!)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.  I've been debating setting up a red clawed crab tank for some time, mainly waiting for permission for my better half.  Now my tanks are at good levels of stocking I decided to turn my quarantine tank into a crab tank (though if all successful going to get a bigger 48L around December for the little fellas). 

I have done ton's of reading and my LFS keeps them in freshwater but I have read they do better in brackish water so I am researching the best approach for this. I tried all sorts of 'aquascaping' of sorts to attempt to make a beach effect but unfortunately this tank is just too small!

Thought I would share some photo's either way as these chap are a little bit different and quite interesting!

'Thor' and 'Zeus' in a large bucket preparing for drip acclimatisation
20130923_153317.jpg

Excuse the plants, they were spares that I thought I would add.  Probably will be destroyed by the crabs.  I have  made some areas that allow the crabs to climb out the water.  The filter pumps over the large stone creating a bit of a water feature (sorry for the poor pic).
20130923_204816.jpg

Picture of Thor having an explore of his new home!  Excuse the waterspots on the glass, the tank will need a clean once the crabs have settled.
20130923_204825.jpg

Zeus holding onto a Cory pellet and hiding away.
20130923_204916.jpg

This is really cool! I haven't seen anyone make a crab only tank before. Its a neat idea!

I've been planning this for quite a while, theres one shop nearby that sells these crabs so always on my mind. Its kind of a first step...Hoping to get a longer tank and have a beach effect, ideally with plants that can survive brackish water.  Quite exciting anyway
fish.gif

You have some good photos there, will be great when the glass is clean as they appear very photogenic :D

Yes I was very pleased with the photo's, especially in failing light!! I will hopefully give it all a clean tomorrow if they appear relaxed and post some more photos.

Looks great! How big do they grow too?

Hours of fun to come watching these I think :nod:

They grow to around 4-5cm so they are around half the size they will grow!  I have only had them a few hours but they are great at hunting out food and extremely quick when they need to be.  When I put them in the tank they just grabbed onto my finger as I moved them across! Nice to be able to interact with them.

They're adorable! Can't wait to see some more pics :) Did it hurt when they held onto your finger?

They're adorable! Can't wait to see some more pics
smile.png
Did it hurt when they held onto your finger?
No, thought I might get pinched but they have a kind of soft but spiky grip, just enough for them to hold on to. Strange feeling!

214jay said:

They're adorable! Can't wait to see some more pics
smile.png
Did it hurt when they held onto your finger?
No, thought I might get pinched but they have a kind of soft but spiky grip, just enough for them to hold on to. Strange feeling!

How cute/neat! I think one day I'd like some purple vampire crabs. :)

Dawwww they're so cute! As others have set really funky idea. Crabs are great.

love their names btw. ;)

Well I thought I would try and take some other picture today. The crabs have already removed some of the leaves on one of the plants so they are exploring their new home!
20130924_082535-1.jpg

An how I have set the tank up - I will probably re-visit this layout at some point but for now the filter throws water across the exposed rocks.  Excuse the statue thing in the left corner...that was not my choice!

20130924_082857-1.jpg

:wub: I hope they're enjoying their new home! Lovely tank :)

Nice set up!

My GF did think about setting a tank set up similar to yours for crabs, but she changed her mind for the BiOrb Flow just for shrimps.

Nice to see a crab set up on this forum. Nice one!

Good pics BTW!

They are beautiful looking creatures and quite interesting to watch I would imagine.  Do they breed in aquariums?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back