My New Blue Platy's

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

~heidi~

Reaction score
Made my first buy from Aquabid. My new babies arrived Wednesday and they are beautiful! They were very scared for a while but seem much better today.

Thank you for looking.

Have a nice weekend all!

Attachments

• blueplaty.jpg
    blueplaty.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Minnie.jpg
    Minnie.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 133
  • NewPlaty.jpg
    NewPlaty.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 103
Nice pictures.  1 male, 2 females... are there more than 3?

Looking good!

I really do wish we had an AquaBid equivalent for the UK, it looks like a great site

I think its a roll of the dice, to be honest.  Each seller is different, so you have to be careful whom you purchase from.  Some sellers will be far better than others.

We're so spread out in the US, and the hobby isn't nearly as popular as in the UK.  You guys have many advantages that we don't in the US for this hobby.

eaglesaquarium said:
Nice pictures.  1 male, 2 females... are there more than 3?
Thanx so much. Well, I bought 3 but the seller gave me an extra fish (the Mickey). :)  

I had the hardest time finding blue platy fish here. I don't know why, but no one seems to sell them and they don't seem to want to order them either.
I was so happy to find these on Aquabid..

Is the Mickey one of the females?

Yup...  Look at the anal fin.  If its a "fan"-shape its a female.  If its a male, the anal fin will be a "gonopodium".

In your first pic (left-most):  The fish on the left is the female, note the fanned anal fin (bottom fin, closest to the tail) - female.  The one trailing it (normal behavior for males to chase females, which is why you want more females than males) has what appears to be a gonopodium.  Sometimes the females will clamp their fin while swimming quickly, so it can be hard to tell at times from single pictures.

The second picture (the Mickey) is clearly a female.

Joshwainwright said:
Looking good!

I really do wish we had an AquaBid equivalent for the UK, it looks like a great site

We have Aquarist Classified.

Lovely fish!

TLM - this is what I mistook your old profile for! Doh!

I bought my blue platy (that died recently but did leave me with two babies) at Maidenhead Aquatics. They are good for surprise varieties if you haunt them weekly. LOL

eaglesaquarium said:
I think its a roll of the dice, to be honest.  Each seller is different, so you have to be careful whom you purchase from.  Some sellers will be far better than others.

We're so spread out in the US, and the hobby isn't nearly as popular as in the UK.  You guys have many advantages that we don't in the US for this hobby.

Agreed.  Fish keeping seems like an "old" hobby that not that many people are into, let alone aquascaping :)  In my area anyway..  

Love the blue platies. I've been looking for these guys too! Couldn't find any, so I picked up a pair of 24 karat platies, which I like a lot. I think I'll continue the hunt for a pair of blue as well though.

greenmumma141 said:
Love the blue platies. I've been looking for these guys too! Couldn't find any, so I picked up a pair of 24 karat platies, which I like a lot. I think I'll continue the hunt for a pair of blue as well though.
Thanx so much!  I am very curious as to why are they so hard to find? Are they more difficult to breed than the other Platy colors?  Or just less demand for them?

They are fairly nice. They probably just don't realise people are looking to buy blue platies. I'd snap some myself if I had seen them around but not sure what hybrid they'd do with my reds.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back