My New Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

howard_hopkinson

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I recently bought a Fluval Roma 240 and made this short video of it.

I would welcome all comments, good and bad.

It was cycled with fish in and plants, some of which came from my establish aquarium, plus lots of media from the filter from my established aquarium.

11 days and it seems to have now completed the cycle. Lots of 50% water changes and all fish seem to be very happy and feeding well.

Ph=7.5 and stable, ammonia=0ppm, nitrite=0.3ppm and dropping.

I will continue to change 50% water over the next few days, just to be on the safe side.

At the moment the aquarium contains the following.

2 6" Bala Sharks
2 4" Opaline Gouramis
2 3" Pearl Gouramis
2 4" Clown Loaches
2 2" Koi Angel Fish
1 3" Koi Angel Fish
1 3" Red Tail Black Shark
1 2" Bulldog Pleco
2 GBR's
1 3" Red Rainbow
1 2" Banded Rainbow

I plan on adding 2 more young Clown Loaches and 1 more Angel Fish in the near future.

Click to watch video

tank looks greatm, love the aqua scaping... im sure someone will diss your stocking though.. but thats ur choice.,,

but i think ur tank looks cool. nice mix of fish..

superman1 said:
im sure someone will diss your stocking though.. but thats ur choice.,,

In what way?

Can you be more specific please?

I am open to all suggestions, criticism etc.

No one will 'diss' the stocking, but they will point out incompatible species.

Your tank is too small to house the following fish long term...
Bala Sharks
Clown Loaches

Also what is this 'Dwarf Pleco'? I've never heard of one?
Do you have it's latin name or a picture?

Other comments on stocking...
Rainbowfish are a shoaling species so should be kept in groups of 5 or more.
GBR's should really be kept at high temps 28C-30C (I'm guess your tank isn't that warm?), on top of that with the current nitrite you might find they are quite short lived. How long have you had them so far?
And please don't add any more clown loaches or angelfish. Clown loaches because they'll grow too big long term so it's unfair to get more. And Angelfish because you could easily end up running into agression issues if you add more to that tank.

As for the actual look of the tank I would add more greenery and some more hidey holes, I would also switch everything to natural products (Ie. All real plants, Real Wood and Rocks) Sorry if all those plants are real...I couldn't quite tell. They look really nice eitherways, I was just making the point that if it were me I would definitely stick to all natural. :)

I like the tank, and i've also given you your first rating and comment over on the tube too.

'Curiosity101 said:
Your tank is too small to house the following fish long term...
Bala Sharks
Clown Loaches

I am aware that eventually the Bala sharks and Clown loaches will need to be rehomed. Thankfully Clown loaches are very slow growing, but when they do get too big for my 240 litre aquarium, they most certainly will be rehomed.

'Curiosity101 said:
Also what is this 'Dwarf Pleco'? I've never heard of one?
Do you have it's latin name or a picture?

I don't have a latin name, but am reliably informed that the Pleco I have won't grow much bigger than it already is and it's currently 2.5". Perhaps you could help with it's identification? I would be most grateful. See pic below.

DSCF0402_filtered.jpg

'Curiosity101 said:
Other comments on stocking...
Rainbowfish are a shoaling species so should be kept in groups of 5 or more.
GBR's should really be kept at high temps 28C-30C (I'm guess your tank isn't that warm?), on top of that with the current nitrite you might find they are quite short lived. How long have you had them so far?

The rainbow fish came with my other aquarium, so weren't my choice, though I do like them and they seem to be very happy. The red rainbow fish as far as I can tell is male, while the Banded Rainbow fish is female.

The GBR's are kept at a temp of 26ºC and don't seem to be any worse for wear. I have had them for around 3 months thus far.

'Curiosity101 said:
As for the actual look of the tank I would add more greenery and some more hidey holes, I would also switch everything to natural products (Ie. All real plants, Real Wood and Rocks) Sorry if all those plants are real...I couldn't quite tell. They look really nice eitherways, I was just making the point that if it were me I would definitely stick to all natural'

All the plants are real and I do intend to get some more over the coming days and weeks.

I do also intend to get some wood as soon as I find a piece that I like.

MHunt: Thanks for the YouTube comments.

Thanks to everyone for your comments so far. They are very much appreciated.

i would say for the time being clown loaches are fine as they grow to roughly 5-7 inches pretty quickly but mine seem to have stopped and you can't say i stunted their growth as they are in a tank plenty big enough.

Personally I like your tank, and as you are aware of the need for rehoming the sharks and loaches eventually, I think your stocking is fine. Keep up the good work, but watch out for a little Angel aggression as yours grow.

Thankyou for the Rainbow fish info drobbyb, it is very much appreciated.

Can anyone ID the small Pleco?

Again, thanks to everyone who has responded.

Plec looks like a bulldog/rubbernose plec and will not get too big - a good choice.

If you still have NitrIte present your cycle is not yet complete - don't add anything until it is.

As previously stated the rainbows need to be in a larger group.

Thanks for the Pleco ID, Bulldog Pleco it is then.

Once the tank has completed it's cycle I will get some more Rainbows. What is the preferred mix of males and females?

1 male-2 or 3 females. I'd add 2 more of each type. In my experience different typres of rainbows will be happy enough together.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back