My neon tetra in dying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ManderPanda

Reaction score
My neon doesn't look right, what’s wrong with him? If there is no cure, should I euthanasia it?

There's no picture showing unfortunately and you've not given us any further details to make a comment.

Looks like you've tried to link to a Facebook photo but your profile or the group you've posted it in isn't open for everyone to see.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?
If yes, what are the results?

How many neons do you have?

When did the neons start dying?

What symptoms do the neons have, what do they look like before they die?

What other fish are in the tank?

can you post the pic on an image hosting website and put the link here, or make the image smaller so it fits here?

I don't have a facebook account so don't know anything about that

Is there any strange symptoms? Laying at the bottom of the tank, not eating? Like Collin said there could be excessive nitrite or nitrate levels.
And are there any other animals in the tank that could've caused it?

Hi.

The reason you can't post the picture here is probably because it's too large for the forum. This forum doesn't like large file sizes.

If you took the photo on an iPhone, you can email the photo to yourself, and it will allow you to resize the photo when you send the email.

OR, you could transfer the photo to your computer and use that to resize the photo. MS Paint works for this.

upload_2018-6-8_18-27-24.jpeg

My ammonia levels are fine, everything is fine apart from the PH which is on the high side but I am planning to go get something from the fish shop to resolve this

Hello? Could I please have a reply? I want to know what I need to do

I can see his entire mid section is white.

Is he schooling with the other tetras, or is he acting like a loner?

Impossible to tell from that picture. Have you just got the one? They really need to be in a group of at least 6 so being alone would cause stress.

Are you able to answer @Colin_T 's questions from post #3. We need numbers, its fine, or its high doesn't help. Please don't try to change your pH. That almost always ends in pain, and if it is what the fish is used to changing it will cause even more stress.

neon disease.

It's usually a bacterial infection that spreads really quickly. Depending on where you live will determine what you treat the fish with. But you can try an anti-biotic for fish, you get this from a petshop.

The anti-biotic will kill the filter bacteria so it's best to treat the fish in a separate tank. If you only have 1 neon left you could euthanize it and monitor the other fishes in the tank. If the others develop the same symptoms then treat the them. However, if you have a number of neon tetras left you can treat the main tank and just reduce feeding and do lots of water changes while the filters recover.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

You can use the "Calculator" in the "How To Tips" tab at the top of the page, to convert litres to gallons.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

Remove carbon from filter before treating.

Wipe the inside of the glass, do a complete gravel clean and clean the filter, and do a 75% water change before treating. And do another big (80-90%) water change and complete gravel clean each time before you retreat the tank.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back