My Neon Blue Goby Won't Eat!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LicianDragon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a neon blue goby from Jack's Aquarium about a month ago. Hearing these guys are herbivores I bought some green seaweed for him(did not like that the first ingredient in any algae wafers was fish meal...). I have yet to ever see him eat and it looks like he is getting thinner. Should I try algae wafers with him? Is there another food I can use? Thanks for your help!

I never stick any food in for mine, he tends to just eat the natural build up of algae with his sucker. Never seen him eat food I put into the tank, but my guy is over a year old now

I never stick any food in for mine, he tends to just eat the natural build up of algae with his sucker. Never seen him eat food I put into the tank, but my guy is over a year old now

Well that's reassuring =) He seems to have shown some interest in algae wafers but I still haven't actually seen him eat anything. There's plenty of algae build-up in the tank as I only wipe down one panel of glass plus it's growing on the rocks. Thanks!!

I thought neon blue gobies were for saltwater tanks not brackish

10saltdude01 said:
I thought neon blue gobies were for saltwater tanks not brackish
Late reply sorry for this. The neon blue goby I have is a brackish water fish acclimated to my freshwater tank. I've had him for 6 months now and he's doing really well! He hasn't gotten the memo that he's not supposed to eat flaked fish food(to high protein) but he also keeps my glass pretty clean. He also has some sort of beef with my guppies and likes to chase them around the tank a lot. XD

What's the latin name for your Neon Blue Goby?

I have some sort of Goby, he looks a lot like a sumatran red neon but I'm not entirely sure. He loves Algae Wafers, algae off of the plants, some of the cories pellets are an occasional snack he decides to have.. he even grabs the odd bloodworm or two when I feed the tank their weekly worms :D

You could give any of them a try, but I'm a novice with gobies too! Hope I've helped :)

Paradise<3 said:

Stiphodon atropurpureus I think is the latin name for the neon blue goby.

If the latin name for the one in this thread is Stiphodon Atropurpureus then OK but if it's Elacatinus Oceanops then you're in trouble.

Yeah that would be very bad news if it was the latter. The freshwater one doesn't seem too difficult in the short time I've had my pair though :)

If it was the latter I'd be surprised though considering they are marine only... I'd be very surprised if it had lasted a few days if it was the latter let alone 6 months.

Paradise<3 said:

Stiphodon atropurpureus  is the species I have, male. Looks just like the one in the picture on this website->http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Stiphodon-atropurpureus/ Looking back now he probably wasn't a good choice immediately for a new tank but now that I've got a good growth of algae on my rocks and glass he's got plenty to graze on. He'll also eat the flake food for my other fish if he can get any. Seems my earlier suspicions of him not getting enough to eat where false. =)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back