My neighbors are complaining about noise from the Tidal filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
OK, a bit of hyperbole, but these things are loud. I bought a nearly new Tidal 75 from a guy who said he upgraded to an AquaClear 110 to get better filtration for his mbunas. Ten to one says the noise was driving the old man mad. The noise was interment for a while and now I canā€™t shut the thing up. Rotating the blue front wheel provides temporary noise reduction, but then it starts right back up.

I liked certain features of this filter and ordered a Tidal 110 (before realizing the 75 was getting louder) from Amazon. Unacceptably noisy right out of the box. I used cycled media from other filters & saved all the packaging & am seriously considering returning it & getting another AquaClear 110.

The plan today is to research the Tidal and see if Iā€™m missing something. Iā€˜m hard pressed to imagine anyone putting up with this godawful noise. Has anyone here had positive experiences with this HOB? Thank you
48D9C949-769B-41FE-86AF-498F4828AA34.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry not specifical experience, but I did read once that a HOB filters can be noisy and there was a trick with a sponge or placing something against the filtr and the glass in one corner, since the vibration against the glass and the cable are what are causing the noise.
I am sure if you check overall a HOB filter noisy and tips, you will find what I am talking about

Can you post pictures of it?

If you have a surface skimmer on it, that could be contributing to the noise. You can normally run them without the surface skimmer, but you might need to change the intake pipe.

Sorry not specifical experience, but I did read once that a HOB filters can be noisy and there was a trick with a sponge or placing something against the filtr and the glass in one corner, since the vibration against the glass and the cable are what are causing the noise.
I am sure if you check overall a HOB filter noisy and tips, you will find what I am talking about
You have to be correct. My 8 Fluval AquaClears are very quiet though. I have four 70s & four 110s.

Can you post pictures of it?

If you have a surface skimmer on it, that could be contributing to the noise. You can normally run them without the surface skimmer, but you might need to change the intake pipe.
Didnā€™t know they had surface skimmers. My laziness in not reading instructions. What should I photograph? Both are in fish tanks. I can pull one if need be

I don't know the brand. I have used half a dozen different types, and the only consistently loud ones were marinelands, with the thin plastic. Aqua-Clears are quiet when young.

Do you not here the noise?
what noise?

------------------------
Didnā€™t know they had surface skimmers. My laziness in not reading instructions. What should I photograph? Both are in fish tanks. I can pull one if need be
I looked online and they said they had surface skimmers. I assumed you can remove the skimmer part but I might be wrong.

If you can make a video of it getting the noise in the video, some of the people that have speakers on their computers might be able to identify where the noise is coming from.

what noise?

------------------------

I looked online and they said they had surface skimmers. I assumed you can remove the skimmer part but I might be wrong.

If you can make a video of it getting the noise in the video, some of the people that have speakers on their computers might be able to identify where the noise is coming from.
Great idea, but Iā€™m too lazy & busy to make a video. I will investigate & contact customer service at Tidal. I already contacted them once, fast response. Asked if the tank required additional aeration beyond the filter. They said generally not, but depends upon size of tank & fish. I did add a airstone to the 110 G that has Oscar & Jack, because I was concerned turning down the flow rate would reduce oxygenation. They are big fish, ~8ā€ each, 4 years old, and have been together all that time. I am being told Oscarā€™s growth may have been stunted due to poor tank conditions prior to my recent ownership. idk. Both peaceful sweet creatures. And beautiful.

Problem resolved! The water level is critical for proper operation of these filters. It was a bit low on the new 125 G I setup Sunday. So was the level on another tank. I filled the 2 tanks to the max & both filters are currently silent. I am reading that the larger capacity the Tidal is, the more touchy they get. Tidal/Seachem has yet to respond & I look forward to hearing from them, even though the pair finally shut up.

Problem resolved! The water level is critical for proper operation of these filters. It was a bit low on the new 125 G I setup Sunday. So was the level on another tank. I filled the 2 tanks to the max & both filters are currently silent. I am reading that the larger capacity the Tidal is, the more touchy they get. Tidal/Seachem has yet to respond & I look forward to hearing from them, even though the pair finally shut up.
Great to hear that you were able to figure it out :)

I've used Tidals before and had zero issues with sound. Virtually silent. Helped by the fact that the impeller is inside the tank which muffles any sound further (and means they automatically resume functioning without being primed in the event of a power cut).

Unless you mean the sound of water falling? In which case, the further the distance between the waterfall output and the water surface, the louder it will be, but that'll be the case for any HOB.

No, that would have been a pleasant sound. This was more like a godawful death rattle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back