my mystery fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

glubglub

Reaction score
Hello,
I work in a pet store and we recently got in this new fish and they came in on our list as a flame dwarf gourami which it is not. Im sure it is still a type of gourami. It is a light yellow in color with red around the eyes and small bit of red on its back, red tail and belly. This link will get you to a photo of this fish. If you have any idea what it could be please reply to my post.
Thank you very much
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/mysteryfish/
P.S. Sorry about the extra post, im new at this. And thank you for your help so far but it is not a kissing gourami, I am 100% sure of that. It dose not have the same type of protruding lips and its body isnt as elongated as a kissing gourami. The search continues.

I went to google and typed Gold severum and I believe that they are Gold severum

It doesn't look like a gold severum to me, glubglub. -_-

I think it looks like a kissing gourami. But I can't see if it has those feeler things that gouramis have. If it does, than my guess is some color variation of a kisser. There are gold gouramis, so yellow is not really a strange color for a gourami to have. Also, keep in mind that there seems to be a lot of breeding going on to develop new gourami colors. :unsure:

If you find out what it really is, glubglub, please let us know. :)

Inchworm said:
It doesn't look like a gold severum to me, glubglub. -_-

I think it looks like a kissing gourami. But I can't see if it has those feeler things that gouramis have. If it does, than my guess is some color variation of a kisser. There are gold gouramis, so yellow is not really a strange color for a gourami to have. Also, keep in mind that there seems to be a lot of breeding going on to develop new gourami colors. :unsure:

If you find out what it really is, glubglub, please let us know. :)
I also think it's a Kissing Gourami. Here's a picture of one for comparison.

I've been doing a bit of searching on the net this morning to try to find out what your fish is, glubglub. But, I haven't had any luck, unfortunately. :(

I did learn, however, that in some parts of the world the kissing gourami is being raised as a food fish. Selective breeding for this purpose is resulting in new color strains and, IMHO, I would think that body shape would be getting modified too. (the better to fit in a frying pan) :eek:

Aaaarrrggggggg, I hate this post! :sick:

Hi glubglub,

I think you are absolutely right they are gouramis. Not servums. Don't go by the color of the fish but fin and body shape and if you look closley they don't have the head or the body of a servum.

Second they are probably not kissing gouramis either. This is because kissing gouramis are not bred for their color anymore. They were spawned to the color they are today (pink) and now they are just farm raised.

Finally the most common gourami to be spawned to mutate the color is the dwarf. So these are probably dwarfs. If they fail that then they are probably honey gouramis, but I don't think they could be anyother fish.

Thankx to all those that are trying to help, tonight i am going to make a better picture of him so more details can be shown. The only possibility that i thought of aswell was the gold honey gourami but many i see are alot more orangy looking but thankx for everyones help.

It sounds like it could be an albino dwarf flame gourami. i saw some at a lfs and if i remember correctly they sound very similar to your fish. a picture would help

Well I also had a look for kissing gourami's on google and they also look similar ARGHH!!!!! ;)

That's a gouarami, for sure, glubglub. :nod:

But I don't think it's albino. The picture clearly shows the yellow coloring and the red on its fins and an albino wouldn't usually have that.

Are these yours, or pics from the store? Did females come with them or just males?

I'm almost certain those are honey gold gouramis :nod: (or golden honey gouramis or any of the other goofy names that they get called). I had a couple until my opaline polished them off. :X

Yes inchworm these are my own pic's. i cant tell if it is a male or a female and I dont know what sex's came with the rest because a Bumble Bee catfishwas put with them (big mistake) and ate everyone but him. :crazy:
Anyways he's really cute, only about half an inch and iv named him pee-wee because he is so much smaller than my other gouramis. Thankx for everyones help. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back