My mom is giving me the go!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So my mom and I finally got the room to a point where I can fill the tank with water and decor... But I'm unsure as if I should wait till I have the qt tank as well or if I should wait until I have the lighting as well... Any suggestions? *notice I'm not putting plants in right away... Probably near the end of cycling I will

Lights are only needed in fishless cycling if you have plants! Do you have a filter and filter media? Also a heater? Test kits?

If I were you I would get the equipments and start the cycle right away as it may take a while. 😃

So my mom and I finally got the room to a point where I can fill the tank with water and decor... But I'm unsure as if I should wait till I have the qt tank as well or if I should wait until I have the lighting as well... Any suggestions? *notice I'm not putting plants in right away... Probably near the end of cycling I will
The need for a QT would depend upon your trust of your fish supplier.
In setting up my two tanks, I trusted all 3 suppliers and so never felt the need to quarantine.
I recently acquired fish from the Czech Republic and the seller is effectively an unknown, so I set up a QT for these fish. (I also want to grow them on a bit, before adding them to the main tank).

Why the delay in planting?
The longer the plants are established, the sooner they'll be able to do their planty job. ;)

The need for a QT would depend upon your trust of your fish supplier.
In setting up my two tanks, I trusted all 3 suppliers and so never felt the need to quarantine.
I recently acquired fish from the Czech Republic and the seller is effectively an unknown, so I set up a QT for these fish. (I also want to grow them on a bit, before adding them to the main tank).

Why the delay in planting?
The longer the plants are established, the sooner they'll be able to do their planty job. ;)
Also... With the qt tank... I have never ever gotten fish from our lps's supplier, meaning I have no idea what to expect with them... So I want to qt

Lights are only needed in fishless cycling if you have plants! Do you have a filter and filter media? Also a heater? Test kits?

If I were you I would get the equipments and start the cycle right away as it may take a while. 😃
I also want to pick up some long aquarium gloves... So I can order those up soon

You don't need to QT if they are the only fish in the tank - that just adds more stress on them.

So you could easily add a disease or parasite to a new tank.
Then you can just treat it in the DT instead of a QT where the fish would be more stressed. If the DT already had fish in it, then of course start them out in the QT. But the DT is empty right now.

Then you can just treat it in the DT instead of a QT where the fish would be more stressed. If the DT already had fish in it, then of course start them out in the QT. But the DT is empty right now.
True enough, but I'd be aware of a perfectly good, cycled tank...all virginal and ready for fish...and then you end up having to add meds to it and, if it's a bacterial condition, then your beneficial bacteria's going to get a severe battering.

I would set up ASAP to get the cycle started. Even if you don't want to set the tank up yet get a bucket of water and stick your filter and heater in and start the cycle there. You wont be getting all the bacteria going in the tank itself but the filter will keep you covered.

In regards to a quarantine tank. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Depending on your fish literally a big bucket/container with a bunch of cheapo plants (hornwart and duckweed works great), heater and a pre-cycled filter will do the job.

Personally I agree with @Bruce Leyland-Jones in principle but would actually do the same as @PheonixKingZ when it comes to putting the first lot of fish in. :)

I would set up ASAP to get the cycle started. Even if you don't want to set the tank up yet get a bucket of water and stick your filter and heater in and start the cycle there. You wont be getting all the bacteria going in the tank itself but the filter will keep you covered.

In regards to a quarantine tank. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Depending on your fish literally a big bucket/container with a bunch of cheapo plants (hornwart and duckweed works great), heater and a pre-cycled filter will do the job.

Personally I agree with @Bruce Leyland-Jones in principle but would actually do the same as @PheonixKingZ when it comes to putting the first lot of fish in. :)
All I need is some gloves and then I can cycle the WHOLE tank... As for the qt tank I can get something cheap at walmart or just get a 5g aquarium at my lps for like $20... And I will try to put some duckweed or hornwort in the qt tank.
I know I asked this in another thread, but can I have 9 juvenile lambchop rasboras in the at tank for a month and then do the 3 juvenile peacock gudgeons for the same amount of time? They'll be separate (not at the same time).

(Btw nothing against the people that do this but I just HATE the thought of the cycle in a bucket method...)

LOL, thought you said your mom is giving you the boot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back