My Mealworm Breeding Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crazyforcordoras

CLASH OF CLANS!!!!
Reaction score
Hey all!

Ive decided to start breeding mealworms. This isna journalmfor anyone whose interested.

So far i have

2 small bins (mealworms and beetles
1 small container in the beetle bin for pupae
10 regular mealworms
3 pupae
0 beetles

A quick info on mealworms

Mealworms are the larvae of the Darkling Beetle. They afe used as feeders for lots of things, birds, reptiles, arachnids, amphibians, etc.

More to come!

Are they going to be food for something? If not, my Bearded Dragon, Mojo, will happily eat them :devil:

Breeding them

1. For the experience
2. Whites Tree Frog food
3. Wild bird food

I cant wait for my beetles to hatch!

Got the rest of my bins today. I have 2, 3 drawer carts for mealies and beetles, and a small 5 drawer one for pupae and babies.

Also bought 100 mealworms! Need about 100 more though, and more Corn Flakes! I squashed them for the mealies. I used a whole big box and i need another!

My first beetle has hatched, and anothers on its way! Pics to come as soon as the other one hatches!

I usually give my mealworms either whole potato cut in half, the peeled skins of potato or apples cut in half, they eat it and they need it for the moisture content. They also like munching through dampened newspaper. Good luck with your mealworm farm. At the next local bird sale I am seriously thinking about getting a mealworm seperator to more easily seperate the various sizes of mealworm form the pupae and the adults.

I put some potato in last night. Another beetles hatching right now!

I really dislike mealworms.. they bite! Not as bad as the morio worms though but still icky.

Used to have big tubs of tem when we bought bulk bags of mealworms, after a while they really start to smell funky. The more fresh foods the worse they smelled.

We always fed them prima and cornflakes/rice krispies/bran flakes as well as fresh foods like potato, carrot, brocolli etc. Feeding Prima (we got it cheap enough in bulk to use it on a large scale lol) helpd to bring out the colours of the animals eating the mealworms :)

I love the pupae though, they look like really funny aliens!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back