My Marine Adventure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks Reesy, its been slow going as im a beginner lol. But i have my RR set up and running nice now with a few fish, crabs and a starfish in there. Had two clowns die on me but i didn't acclimate them properly.

I wanted a bigger tank in length so there was more to run my eyes across. I am currently building a stand for my tank before i do anything with it.

Will keep this updated as its my marine adventure from the beginning
smile.png

Any more thoughts on the tank would be much appreciated.

That's a single T5 tube. It's on the right track but it'll need a fresh reflector, a new tube that's marine light spec and some friends if you want the right light levels.

Thanks Rob, Would my best option be to do away with the lid and get a separate light fitting with a open top, Or keep the lid and replace and add extra bulbs. Its seems there is plenty of room to add the new bulbs but im not sure about connecting them up, Adding reflectors should be easy enough.

I am going to take my time with this as there is a lot to do and not enough time or money to get it all done as quickly as i would like lol.

OK, marine lighting is one of those questions. The general basic is that corals will want a lot.

After that you're into budget against requirements. T5's fit in the low cost but less effective option, although they do need fairly regular replacement. The question is, what is your long term plan for this tank?

go LED or MH. T5s are going to be expensive, especially when you have to replace 6-8 of them twice a year.

could someone link me to some lights that are acceptable through ebay maybe.

Thanks.

Here are more. I grow SPS under these, they are great. They sip electricity and make no heat. This is my 4x20K8x440nm taken with the bulb 2' off the ground with the room lights on http://i.imgur.com/EES9z.jpg http://i.imgur.com/wLNOK.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
right guys i have been very busy.

Doing all sorts. I haven't had much time to update this.

Here are some pics and stuff where i am at now.

After buying the tank i needed a stand. They were so expensive so i decided to try my hand at DIY lol. My DIY skills are not very good and this turned out good for me.

fishtank1_zpscb4ed548.jpg

fishtank2_zps0eaa7cab.jpg

fishtank4_zps9827b010.jpg

fishtank5_zps110dc7c0.jpg

And the finished product, Not very happy with the black thought
smile.png

20130205_132305_zpsd944cf7a.jpg

20130205_132332_zpsb4a0e503.jpg

While i was doing this i tried my hand at DIY rock too.

20130201_103510_zpsd9ab85d7.jpg

20130201_103738_zpsd428d248.jpg

I have made more and had it soaking in a bucket in the garden for a week, changing the water every other day.

I have just taken it out and put it into a tank for now so i could add heater, pump and light to help it.

20130207_112518_zpsecb6ad49.jpg

I scrapped the horrible black paint off the back and added a nice blue colour.

20130203_141536_zpsa26faf85.jpg

20130203_183223_zps36c2967f.jpg

I also read up and watched some youtube videos on how to DIY overflow to hook upto my sump as i really dont fancy drilling the tank. I still have some work to do on this.

20130207_100442_zpsef7d102b.jpg

20130207_100542_zps679b4028.jpg

And thats pretty much where i am at the moment. Any advice on the rocks or overflow is welcomed.

I still have my 94 tank running with the fish and stuff in there, In no massive rush to transfer them over until i have it all set up just the way i want.

Hope you guys are keeping busy.

Make sure you test that overflow that it can handle the flow you plan on putting through it.  The reason I never went through with using one of those overflows is I heard somewhere that a 1" pvc can only handle 50gph.  Apparently the physics involved with drains (calling the style you made a drain, it is the trap design your  bathtub/sink uses) is different than with straight pipe pvc.  I did the math for a non drain pvc overflow with a 1" pipe and the max flow rate I calculated was around 580gph if I remember correctly.

You can use this to calculate flow rate with a given pipe diameter http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/flowrate/

I might be able to get you the formulas if you want.

Also, you will need an airline tube with a check valve at the top most 180° bend.  It serves 2 purposes, to start the drain and to clear air that will buildup in the line.

Yeah thanks Greg. I have followed instructions from someone building this. I have a check valve (yet to be installed)

My pipe is 32mm which i believe is 1 and a half inches. Hoping it will be enough.

I dont have a return pump as of yet. Any ideas on which one i would need like GPH. Thanks.

It would depend on what your overflow can handle, it is the limiting factor.  You will want somewhere around 10x turnover through the sump and around 20-40x turnover within the tank itself.  My overflow is rated at 800gph and my return pump is rated at 500gph, i loose about 100gph by the time it gets to the end of the pipe.  Here is a good calculator to figure your loss http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

I would recommend you drill the back of the tank (I really wish I would have), better to do it now vs when the tank has stuff in it.  You can then use your diy overflow as an emergency overflow (redundancy is good).  

Consider hooking up a float valve to your pump in the sump.  If  a snail or something gets trapped in the overflow line you will want a switch that will cut off the return pump so you don't flood.  Don't forget a check valve or an anti-siphon hole.  Anti-siphon hole is better than a check valve  it won't kill your flow and is more reliable.

Edit: also connect your overflow and return pump with unions so you can take them out and service them easily.

Well, I finally drilled my tank. It was a worry and stressful lol but i did it.

I drilled it in the bottom corner and will create a weir so no fish can get sucked in.

Will upload some pics soon.

Most reactions

trending

Back