My Male guppy looks pale, and usually stays at top of tank...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Eden's-Aquaria

Reaction score
Hello! Today, I noticed that my male guppy; named Calypso, has been a bit inactive, though still moving around. Oddly enough, only at the surface. He would usually explore sometimes with his brother, but today, tht wasn't the case. Anyways, he isn't acting right. Also, he looks pale and has a BIT of heavy breathing and gasping at the surface. I don't have anything to increase aeration, and I can't go anywhere to buy anything. Still eats. My tank is currently being treated for fungal infections, but he hasn't contracted it. well, he was healed form it still. Am uncertain of my current water parameters, due to the lack of a test kit. Again, I am very busy these few days and cannot run anywhere for the water to be tested. I add beneficial bacteria almost everyday after that bad ammonia spike. I dosed extra prime today. Just mentioning AGAIN, that I don't have access to aeration in my home, and am busy for the rest of the week so I cannot go anywhere to buy anything. UGH, my shifts as a surgeon don't accommodate my needs! Any help or suggestions is appreciated in advance. By my conditions provided, please don't suggest me to go somewhere. On this thread, please only provide me answers and suggestions and not start your own conversations, you can create a thread for yourself....Thank you! :) (also, I may or may not be able to get videos or pics)

Did you overdose the tank?

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

------------------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Did you add anything new to the tank within 2 weeks of this starting?

------------------------------
Guppies get bacterial infections that cause them to go pale, breath heavily and stop eating. They normally die within 24 hours of showing these symptoms.

Gill flukes can cause fish to breath heavily, as can poor water quality, chemicals or low oxygen levels.

If your fish went pale and started breathing heavily after you treated the tank, you might have overdosed. Use the formula above to work out exactly how much water is in the tank and treat accordingly. If you have overdosed, do a small water change to dilute the excess chemicals.

The safest medication for guppies is salt.

Last edited:
Thank you, unfortunately, I can't squeeze in any time at all to even do the water change and clean the filter. My fish store has very knowledgeable staff and they told me not to clean the filter. I did not overdose and am absolutely certain. At times where I cant do anything, I guess time is the only method. The weak ones die ad strong ones survive I guess. I really needed some possible estimations on what is going on. Thank you again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back