My Little Donation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Could be talking complete tosh here but isn't it the melano females that there are fertility problems with?

xweegtx.....you bred these before didn't you?. Did you have any problems?

Yup, I was advised against getting an actual melano female. It was a steel blue female that was used for the Melano, gives a bit of irredescence but further down it works nicely :good: If I'm remembering correctly, it's only steel blue females you can produce Melano's with. Bit more work needed for them, and a lot longer conditioning time!

Edit - I had two unsuccessful spawnings with them, Daddy was crapola. Third one was the lucky one, but still only a few survived. Hoping this time round we'll get it right :)

I have nothing useful to add to this conversation (no change there then...) but just wanted to say he is beautiful :)

Oh thanks thats a really nice thing to say Im glad you like him Im still thinking of names! :blush:

I have nothing useful to add to this conversation (no change there then...) but just wanted to say he is beautiful :)

Oh thanks thats a really nice thing to say Im glad you like him Im still thinking of names! :blush:

ok so something blue xweeqtx ? he makes massive bubble nests, he clearly thinks he's the man! Ive just had close close look at his tail and it is split centrally for a cm but not like a full doulble tail, its not damage its like he's got the starts of a dt but not a full one! So are we saying his colour is Melano? or Orchid?

Steel blue Tilly :good:

I'm still not convinced he's Melano.

Here's my Melano

SD533693.jpg

Anything like this? So hard to tell from photos!

Looks Melano-ish in the last photo but some of them are a definite copper!

Steel blue Tilly :good:

Ok thanks!

Erm he shines that colour green but its coppery and he doesnt have that much green/ copper on him he's predominately black butterfly

So he's black copper butterfly?

melano is the colour black and tends to be 90% black, any colour in addition to the black would reclass the strain, to black orchids for example if blue or green is present and the colours in the right places.Xweeqtx yours would be seen as a black orchid. Or devils if red is present with the black, this is found as either a black body with a red trim or a red body with a black trim, some common devils have blue bodies with red inner rim and a black out trim on the fins. anyway where did devils come from? LOL, apart from hell :rolleyes:

F3 (3rd generation) or is it 2nd?? melano females are infertile I am lead to believe, i cant remeber which one. If you ever see one forsale its always best to avoid it if your planning on breeding her as it could be the case that the breeder wants shut of her due to being infertile but who knows really as you could be getting a good one. the adding of colours back into the melano males keeps the gene going as the melano is a throw out gene,so to speak, rather than a throw back, you will get some melano in a melano crossed with a different colour. God Im confused now as tired.

Anyway he has a melano base with a butterfly trait and a copper top, he's nice, very nice and shows a lovely purple to him when that copper comes through nice. But no he's not a DT but truely stunning.

melano is the colour black and tends to be 90% black, any colour in addition to the black would reclass the strain, to black orchids for example if blue or green is present and the colours in the right places.Xweeqtx yours would be seen as a black orchid. Or devils if red is present with the black, this is found as either a black body with a red trim or a red body with a black trim, some common devils have blue bodies with red inner rim and a black out trim on the fins. anyway where did devils come from? LOL, apart from hell :rolleyes:

F3 (3rd generation) or is it 2nd?? melano females are infertile I am lead to believe, i cant remeber which one. If you ever see one forsale its always best to avoid it if your planning on breeding her as it could be the case that the breeder wants shut of her due to being infertile but who knows really as you could be getting a good one. the adding of colours back into the melano males keeps the gene going as the melano is a throw out gene,so to speak, rather than a throw back, you will get some melano in a melano crossed with a different colour. God Im confused now as tired.

Anyway he has a melano base with a butterfly trait and a copper top, he's nice, very nice and shows a lovely purple to him when that copper comes through nice. But no he's not a DT but truely stunning.

Most of that boys colour was brought out from flash, his green was visible on his dorsal and the very base of his tail then the green on his body was only visible as a sort of sheen. He was very different from the Orchid I had at the same time, so can't see him having being an Orchid as well :S

Haha Man is this confusing or what! this is what Ive got in my head:

well thanks for all the replies, I still think he might have the DT gene, he has that kind of body and his tail does look DT from time to time, apparently according to my friend a few of his siblings were DT ? or the batch he was in? meh we'll see if I breed him! but not with a Melano with another dark colour like a steel blue.
He's not an Orchid or true Melano? he's a butterfly copper variation?
I shouldnt buy him a melano female as she may be infertile due to breeding.

I have kept a black blue butterfly female back from my HMPK spawn? not sure about adding in PK to him though

Thanks guys your both being very helpful and patient!

I wouldn't add PK into his line either Tilly. A nice little HM girl would be great to keep the nice finnage :good:

I wouldn't add PK into his line either Tilly. A nice little HM girl would be great to keep the nice finnage :good:

Yeah Ive looked on ebay but its betta less at the moment! Waiting for Daz to do his sunday night wonder....unless he's adding the one's from his web page because Ive already stalked that! haha :blush:

What colour are you going to go for? If I see anything I can let you know. Not sure if Daz will be doing anything yet cos he's off today and tomorrow but who knows....he might get bored later and put some on lol

I guess I would look for a purple copper, copper or steel blue? so just a touch picky! Also need a copper CT for my HSCT he is very bubbly and I think he'd make a good dad!

Lol....you set yourself some tasks don't you :lol: But I'm sure you'll find exactly the right one....would be a shame not to use him and the lovely CT you have :good:

Lol....you set yourself some tasks don't you :lol: But I'm sure you'll find exactly the right one....would be a shame not to use him and the lovely CT you have :good:

Yeah Ive given up on Zen he just doesnt have the hormones, hopefully these 2 will work when i find them the right girls

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back