My Little Donation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wilsonnw8

Fish Addict
Reaction score
This little boy was given to me by a friend, I wasnt planning on getting another male but he is a funny little chap and as Sam my eldest boy has genetic health problems :unsure: its nice to have a spritely little thing on my desk Im not 100% what he is black wise as black colour standards confuse me and think he might have the DT gene? He's not as different as the gorgeous orange betta on earlier :drool: but I thought Id give him post space! Sorry initial pic is bad have cleaned the glass so will take more later!

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 65
  • zentail.jpg
    zentail.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 67
Can't see the colouring too clearly but looks like he may be a Black Melano.....he's gorgeous Tilly....that's some donation :wub:

This little boy was given to me by a friend, I wasnt planning on getting another male but he is a funny little chap and as Sam my eldest boy has genetic health problems :unsure: its nice to have a spritely little thing on my desk Im not 100% what he is black wise as black colour standards confuse me and think he might have the DT gene? He's not as different as the gorgeous orange betta on earlier :drool: but I thought Id give him post space! Sorry initial pic is bad have cleaned the glass so will take more later!
Hmmmm strange one. hasnt got the DT dorsal but the tail suggests so, you normally find the dorsal would show first, i.e fry that are due to be DT will have the wide spread dorsal. How long has his tail been like this? is there a chance that it could have been damaged and then growing back? I suppose that even though its typical to see the wide dorsal in DT you could get one that shows it in the tail only if the product of a cross with halfmoon. I've never bred DT to see the outcome of the fry but i know that you need to use a DT with a non DT to get a good tail and then cross the 2 fry that show a best amount of DT in them to produce the desired DT. So saying that he could be a DT genotype from the F1 (first spawn). Oh hold on I do know someone who bred a halfmoon with a DT, most of the fry were halfmoons but 1 in particular had the dorsal of a DT but ive never seen pics of these fry fully grown so wouldnt know what the tail turned in to or the tails of the others.

He does also have the chunky body found in the DT at times as well. His colour is tri colour giving a butterfly gene as you prob already know anyway LOL, it does look melano but is there are hint of red in the tail? Very bad pic, you should be shamed of yourself. :lol: try to get one really close up with the flash on this will bring out his underlying gene if its red.

No red at all in his tail Daz, and he's only 3 months old and just over the size of a 50p piece! it anything he shows copper with a flash his tail hasnt ever been damaged so Ive been told. I'll get you another pic posted by tonight this is interesting!

Ok they arent the best in the world! and I have tried he's just very fast, maybe there is red in him? there's like a purply colour going on but at other times he seems blue! I think his tail folds so it looks like a dt but its not, it always has a little fold down the middle, here is a variety of snaps

Attachments

• blackflash.jpg
    blackflash.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 43
  • flare_no_flash.jpg
    flare_no_flash.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 31
  • purpblack.jpg
    purpblack.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 34
  • flash_blue.jpg
    flash_blue.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 38
Wow....so gorgeous. With the blue in his fins I wonder if he could be Black Orchid.....aren't Melanos pure black?

Don't think Melano.

Melano is usually green when it comes out, and a very obvious green! But it's more of a sheen than definite colouring if that makes sense. Definitely a Butterfly in there, and looks copper as well. A lovely mix of colouring!

Thank you, most of the time he shines purple but that time I just caught some blue, with no flash he's just black with a little lace and the white butterfly, so what do I call him colour wise?

You can just make up your very own special name for him Tilly :lol: You're good at names so I'm sure you'll come up with something good!!!

It's interesting too to find out more about the black/melano/orchid bettas as we've never had them.

You can just make up your very own special name for him Tilly :lol: You're good at names so I'm sure you'll come up with something good!!!

It's interesting too to find out more about the black/melano/orchid bettas as we've never had them.

Nor had I! to be honest I havent ever been a fan! but he's here now and he is growing on me! he is very very inquisitive!

Could be talking complete tosh here but isn't it the melano females that there are fertility problems with?

xweegtx.....you bred these before didn't you?. Did you have any problems?

Could be talking complete tosh here but isn't it the melano females that there are fertility problems with?

xweegtx.....you bred these before didn't you?. Did you have any problems?

Oh thats interesting, I want Modaz to come back and tell me about his tail and genetics lol :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back