My Juwel Rio 125 Journey...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Georgia87

Reaction score
I have ordered a new tank (was meant to be the 180, but after measuring up it wouldnt fit, and i had to get the LFS to order the 125 instead) :(

But anyway, i have ordered to JBL Aquabasis for the live plants, and i plan on getting both Light natural sand and some fine black gravel/sand. I saw a video on youtube.... http://youtu.be/OZ0WBDcEWZE which has totally inspired me. Im going to try and get hold of some lawn edging from B&Q so i can cut it down to seperate planted area from the sand.

I also ordered some Sumartran root which cost me £13 for a bit which is 1ftx1ft which i plan on putting in the centre of the tank and attaching Moss to. I also want to get some Rocks, smooth ones like in the video above, but i need to source some as i havent seen them in my LFS.

I'll post pictures at the weekend when the New tank arrives!

fish.gif

Was nice talking to you in the chat room :)

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one!

Good luck 
good.gif

So tank has arrived. Got it all unpacked earlier and stuck the backing on. I decided not to get the juwel 3d background as couldnt justify the extra £80 plus to buy it.

I had fun in the shop today though picking all my stuff out, got aquabasis, manardo, river sand, some nice rocks and a gravel / filter cleaner.

Going to get it all kitted out tomorrow and put some plants in, not quite sure how were going to fill it up yet, plenty of buckets full of water... ahh :)

Oooh, I'm looking forward to the photos already ;)

Your wish is my command... PHOTOS!

Here is the tank whilst I was putting the aquabasis in, with my home made substrate supports.

20130406_232147_zpsf35b0b99.jpg

It took some time to get the shape I wanted, but I got there in the end.
biggrin.png

Here it is after I put the river sand in the middle section, I plan on having some sumatran root wedged in the rocks on the right, so that it lays over/on the sand. (But it still hasn't arrived in the post yet... booo)

Pre water:

20130407_142327_zpsbc4b8383.jpg

Im super happy with the rocks I picked up, cost me £11 for all of them. There pretty big rocks and the formation is awesome, even better under water!

Looking promising Georgia87, and well done on the rocks ;)

Ok, here is the rest of the post, (my mobile wouldnt let me upload)

Here is a top view of the substrate:

IMG_0971_zpsdc1715ab.jpg

And another shot of the amazing rocks!

IMG_0968_zps4f1fb12f.jpg

I managed to pick out a load of plants today from my local Squires, and Pets at home. Although i have absolutely no idea what there called, i just picked what i liked the look of. So if you know the names or links to the plant please share :)

I heard people complaining how Manardo makes the water look filthy when filling up the tank, but i follwed what it said on the bag and washed it in warm water, and im glad i did as the bucket was black with the dust!
winner.gif
  (I did the same for the River Sand and again no dust)

I put screwed up newspaper on top of the whole base of the tank before i filled in the hope the Manardo wouldnt float about and mix with my River sand, and it worked!!!
yes.gif

IMG_0972_zps2921a85f.jpg

I used Long tweezers that i picked up on ebay for £3, im glad i did as they made it a million times easier to plant, specially in the back where i made the substrate deeper.

Half full with water ready to be planted:

20130407_150559_zpsaa4b180e.jpg

Seriously love these rocks, haha

20130407_152651_zps13ee268b.jpg

These plants in the picture above were Bunches, i seperated them  from the weights and foam and planted them spaced apart... will this work or will they just die, i wondered whether they will root or not?

On the other side i planted some hair grass... is that right? i think i may have actually remembered a plant name! haha
sad2.gif

20130407_161114_zpsd127f358.jpg

After scooping any random floating leaves and manardo, Wefilled the rest of the tank up, and im so suprised at how clear it is already!

IMG_0973_zpsa62cebf7.jpg

Left hand side:

IMG_0988_zps9b5c7379.jpg

Right side with a couple rocks and some small Slate pieces:

IMG_0987_zps393aec30.jpg

And now after a few hours:

IMG_0984_zpse0e35ffe.jpg

Let me know what you all think...

(Im getting abit OCD about the plants on the right at the back, the one on the end near the sand is too bushy and i wish i had planted it in the corner instead.. ahh

The one you refer to as "the one on the end near the sand is too bushy and i wish i had planted it in the corner", I believe is Hygrophila Difformis / Water Wisteria  I have this in my tank and it has grown from the side right across to the middle of the aquarium.  Weirdly enough the same plant on the right hand side has grown very slowly in comparison.  I like this plant as it looks good and the fish enjoy swimming through it.
kewlpics.gif
keep them coming ...

Wow, that all happened quick 
blink.png

Looks great though! Although what's the plan for the middle? It looks a little too bare and as if the white section is taking up too much space to me... 
Dunno.gif

I can't really help with the plant IDs as I'm useless but as RCA has pointed out, the one on the back left looks like water wisteria and should grow like mad! Keep your OCD under control because things could get messy!
wink.png

Georgia87 said:

Because of this photo, your largest rock shall now be known as Jupiter!

220px-Jupiter_gany.jpg

Really nice rocks. It's looking good. But i do think the white are is too large. But that is just me. 
The rocks and plants blend well and for a natural look.That's ok it will be even better when it grows.

Some advice you mention buying the plants without knowing what they are, only because they were pretty. This is a common begginer mistake and one i have done many times in my begginer days. Try to avoid this as most of the times you'll end up choosing plants that do not suit your set up leading to dead plants.

I'll keep following as this really shows potential. 

Haha jupiter the rock, I like it!

I had a basic understanding of what plants I wanted ( by the looks) Im just not good at remembering plant names.
The tank isnt finished yet, the white section will have some sumatran root on it which I plan to grow some java moss on. I also have a moss ball on its way in the post, want to see if I like the look before I order more.

Looking a good start! My only comment is that I think you should narrow the white area the front. This will give the illusion of greater depth in the tank. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back