My high school paper.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It depends on the way it's written. If it's something like using MS Word, that can count the words for you.

I'm using Microsoft Word, which has a page and word counter. :)

Nice, I also had a betta fish in high school. That's lucky that you get to choose a topic of your choice though!

Speaking of Bettas...FOTM betta contest starts in just one week
Awesome!! :wub:

Nice, I also had a betta fish in high school. That's lucky that you get to choose a topic of your choice though!
Yes, I was very lucky!

First draft got turned in yesterday. 8 pages, around 2.2k words. I was shooting for 10 pages, but here again, this is just the first draft. :)

Ok guys, I turned in my first draft last week and I have started correcting it this week.

Final draft is due next week.

I only have 1 book and 2 internet sites on my 'Works Cited' page - does mean I know to much...? :oops: :look: :S:angel::angel:

I only have 1 book and 2 internet sites on my 'Works Cited' page - does mean I know to much...?
I am assuming that this is a review for science, or Bio class? while It probably isn't going to matter in 10th grade (I think that's where you said you were) So please don't take this as criticism. If you are interested in pursuing science at a higher level I thought it might be of interest to you. Most science subjects will require referencing of most statements, even if you think that statement is "common knowledge".

Here is an example paragraph from a paper published by Saekhow et al. (2018), The paper is free to access and link below:

In the nature, B. splendens has a mean population density of 1.7 fish m−2 in shallow (about 2–9 cm) waters (Jaroensutasinee and Jaroensutassinee 2001). Under captivity in aquaria, this fish can be reared in small containers with poor quality water (Jaroensutasinee and Jaroensutasinee 2001). Individual rearing of this species can depress its otherwise aggressive behavior under captivity in aquaria (Halperin et al. 1992). Various water volumes have been used for rearing B. splendens in laboratory studies (Karino and Someya 2007; Verbeek et al. 2008; Takeuchi et al. 2010), as well as during export logistics. However, the minimal water volume for rearing this species has not been examined, but needs to be assessed.

So in this 137 words there are 5 different references backing up each statement.
The idea isn't to show what you know, it is to consolidate the work others have done, and enable anyone reading to find the information. For example I could go to any one of the papers above and see the information which reinforces that particular statement.

You see this to a lesser extent in Wikipeadia, where all the Blue hyperlinked words and numbers in text refer you to information on that particular thing.

Saekhow, S., Thongprajukaew, K., Phromkunthong, W., & Sae-khoo, H. (2018). Minimal water volume for intensively producing male Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens Regan, 1910). Fish physiology and biochemistry, 44(4), 1075-1085. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10695-018-0495-z

I finished my final copy today! Also turned it in.

My mom will check it one last time and then i will post all of it here. It is quit long - 10 pages long, 2,372 words.

I will make a new thread, and post the link here to it. Just so this thread isn't that crowded. :)

It's out!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back