My Hamster (caution, he’s hairless)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I offer him carrots and apple between every few days and a once a week, do you know of any veggies I can offer more regularly? I know Carrots and apples are high in sugar.
Carrots don't have sugar in, they are low GI.

Just offer a variety of different fruits and vegetables each day. Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach or silverbeet, carrots (which you already feed him) apples, bananas, rockmelon, cucumber.

Don't feed him onion or onion relatives (garlic, spring onion, shallots, leeks) and no potatoe. Apart from that, just feed a little bit of fruit and veg each day.

If he hasn't been on green leafy vegetables for a while, only offer a small bit every couple of days and build it up over a few weeks otherwise he can get an upset stomach and have the runs.

Just offer a variety of different fruits and vegetables each day. Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach or silverbeet, carrots (which you already feed him) apples, bananas, rockmelon, cucumber.

Don't feed him onion or onion relatives (garlic, spring onion, shallots, leeks) and no potatoe. Apart from that, just feed a little bit of fruit and veg each day.

If he hasn't been on green leafy vegetables for a while, only offer a small bit every couple of days and build it up over a few weeks otherwise he can get an upset stomach and have the runs.
kale is high in Viaman K, witch is quite important

That’s very interesting, I thought carrots had high sugar content! Yes, we give him small amounts every once in a while, I would guess it’s the same for getting baby bunnies eating veggies, taking it slowly.

Awwww! He’s so cute! I have had Syrians for years, and they’re the best! Mine loved fruits like bananas and blueberries. I also made him hamster pancakes on Sundays! Good luck with him! I hope his hair grows back.

Well I’ve got some good news and some bad news! The good news - his fur is coming back very nicely! Will post a photo when I get him out to run around. The bad news - that one nasty scab he had never healed and over the course of 4 days it has gotten to a horrendous state. I’ve been doing daily rinses with Betadine to try and help it heal. I need other people’s opinions though, @Unicornblast5000 i know you know a lot about hamsters, please help! I will post a photo as soon as I am home

Well I’ve got some good news and some bad news! The good news - his fur is coming back very nicely! Will post a photo when I get him out to run around. The bad news - that one nasty scab he had never healed and over the course of 4 days it has gotten to a horrendous state. I’ve been doing daily rinses with Betadine to try and help it heal. I need other people’s opinions though, @Unicornblast5000 i know you know a lot about hamsters, please help! I will post a photo as soon as I am home
You might want to take him to the vet. Scabs can become infected, which it might be.

Alright I got a picture. I know you should not hold a hamster (or any prey animal really) like this, but I figured this situation needed help and this was the only way for me to get a picture of the scabs to get help
55C30C99-1D5D-4A4D-B421-BE91AE24A1EC.jpeg

That scabbing is pretty extensive, I would take the poor guy to the vet. It looks like he had some type of necrosis to get that bad. Lots of potential for secondary infections.

I noticed the first scab about 2 weeks ago maybe, there was only one and it was about the size of my pinkie fingernail. It was not there the day before I noticed it. I immediately went and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it, and did this once a day for the next three days. I forgot one day, and came back the next day (so it had been 5 days since I first noticed it) and it had spread to all over his belly. I started researching and rinsed his belly in a like special shampoo (I will include a photo of the bottle) twice a day for 2 days, and the last 3 days I’ve been using Betadine Surgical Vet Scrub, as that’s what an article I read recommended. It has just been getting redder and bigger and a now it’s a little weepy today. We arent sure at all how old he is, and unfortunately taking him into the vet is not really an option (we don’t have one locally who does hamsters, and we aren’t able to drive two hours away to spend tons of money for them to tell us he needs euthanized) If euthanizing him is the best and kindest choice, my mom said she will talk to our vet (he just said he doesn’t do spay/neuter or emergency operations on small pets)

Oh no I’m sorry ):thunder had a big scab and aloe Vera really helped
i would recommend joining the hamster hideout forum or hamster central forum, they are really helpfull :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back