My Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster

🐠 Tank of the Month Starts Now! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
Click here to enter!

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.

Around 6 months ago I stumbled upon a new fish shop with loads of exciting stock.  I couldn't resist and purchased a tiny 'Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster' (Cherax quadricarinatus - The only legal crayfish allowed in UK).  I had plenty of space in my 30+gallon for more fish and thought I would make the purchase.  When I got him he was just over an inch long and vivid blue.  After moulting almost once every 3 weeks he has grown into a massive 8" crayfish!!! He has eaten/destroyed all of the living plants in the tank which I expected but he has left all of the shrimp and fish alone.  He has destroyed the pond and MTS snail populations but cannot eat my nerites.

Anyway here are a few piccies of him and also a link to a video of him eating and the fish trying to steal his food
rofl.gif

This is him when I first got him, only 1 claw from being in a small tank!
20140318_200848.jpg

This is him now in all his glory!!
ProcambarusclarkiiHammersColbaltBlueLobster.jpg

20140815_180738.jpg

Here is the link to a video of him in the community tank! The fish and shrimp bother him more than he does them!

Last edited by a moderator:

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Wow, hes gorgeous didnt know crawfish could have tank mates like that, what else can they be with, if you know any :)

OP
OP
214jay

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well there’s mixed results (I have done a lot of research) I think bottom feeding fish are out but most other fish seem okay. Main thing is to keep him on a diet of veg as if he gets the taste of fish too much he may become more aggressive!  I am amazed at the personality he has so I guess like fish they can vary with temperament!

I have Dwarf Rainbowfish, Neons, Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp and Nerite Snails in the tank, all of which are still here after 6 months.  All he has eaten in the MTS snails and Pond Snails, guess because they are so small with weak shells!

oliviamiles

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a fresh water cray fish in my tank also had him for about 4 months I was wondering if u no exactly what kind he is seeing as the shop I got him at never told me I put a pic so u can see amazing coloration on that crayfish though I love it !

Attachments

• 2014-08-15_20.46.17.jpg
    2014-08-15_20.46.17.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 207
OP
OP
214jay

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Olivia.  He's a sweet little crayfish. Looks like a 'Procambarus clarkii Orange' but I may be wrong

Most reactions