MY GOURAMIS ARE ATTACKING EACH OTHER

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Moony42

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
HEY TROPICAL FISH FORUMS. I HAVE BOUGHTEN A 2 GALLON BOWL WITH PEBBLES AND A PLANT THAT SEEMS TO BE DYING. BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM? MY DWARF GOURAMIS ARE FIGHTING AND BITING EACH OTHERS FIN. PLS TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!! AND FAST

it is the the space because gouramis are in the same family tree as Betas so they will claim a territory and fight till either one dies or goes to another home but since your tank is to small your going to Have to get a bigger tank of 30 gallons or more and put many hiding places in the tank so each could claim a territory and if that dosnt work out next time get 3 females gouramis and 1 mail

I agree, you need to return the two gourami as soon as possible as one will be dead if they are not separated, and both should go back because a 2g bowl is not sufficient space for either of them.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS. I AM MOVING THEM TO A TEN INCHES
TANK WITH TWO FEMALE GOURAMIS AND ONE SNAIL

While 10 inches may be an improvement on your current set up, it unfortunately isn't ideal for two gouramis. At a minimum furnish the tank with as many plants as possible to provide cover so that these two territorial fish are not constantly in each other's sight. That will go a long way to diminishing aggression. Gourami also tend to feel more secure with floating plants. The more you mimic their natural environment (especially important in smaller tanks) the less stressed and aggression territorial fish will express. Good luck with your gourami and do consider that they may do better in larger digs. Cheers.

I don't know if you meant 10 inches as in tank length, or 10 gallons as in volume, but in both cases there is not sufficient space for these gourami. Do not add more, this is only going to make matters worse.

My brother had two Blue Dwarf Gourami’s that he kept in a 20 gallon tank with just the two of them, and they still faught. I ended up having to adopt one of them. Even though the tank I have him in now (5 gallons) is still small for a Gourami, it was much better for him to be by himself. He ended up healing very well, and any color he lost from stress, he re-gained. If you can’t get a bigger tank, then it’s best just to keep them separated, even if it’s in a smaller tank than what it should be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back