My goldfish scales look funny!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
also
They are also rubbing their bodies against plants and rocks.

we did water changes a few minutes ago and tested the water with the aquarium water testing kit.
them rubbing themselves can be a lot of things

although this does sound like the reaction from the corydoras toxins

They are also rubbing their bodies against plants and rocks.

we did water changes a few minutes ago and tested the water with the aquarium water testing kit.
I never thought about the Corys and goldfish being a problem for each other….even our smallest Cory won’t fit in our biggest fishes mouths yet.

But looking at the photo of a Corydora spine has a huge creep factor!

see the thing is corydoras are usually peaceful despite there natural defences but goldfish although peaceful also are naturally inquisitive and could easily see the Corydoras as a small free meal

also goldfish can be quite bashful so the goldfish could of rubbed itself against the spine by accident

or this could not even be the problem its just a likely scenario

Last edited:
Okay - here we go. Them rubbing their bodies against decor is called flashing. It is indicative of being itchy or irritated. When they do this - it knocks off scales. That is the damage I see in the photos. I don't see dropsy but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Your tank isn't really goldfish friendly IMO either. Sharp rocks aren't good for large clumsy fish. I wouldn't do any hardscape at all for a tank with multiple fish, because as soon as you get a spawn, girl is going to be badly beaten up most likely from being slammed into the rocks and wood edges.

Flashing often indicates body flukes. The best treatment of flukes in goldfish is going to be Flubendazole. If you had a microscope, you could scrape/scope their slime coat and have a look. I always recommend a decent quality microscope for goldfish keepers.

Both will do great on room temperature as well...
While this is true - I have to agree that Cories and Goldies aren't good tankmates. I've seen too many threads back on old goldfish forums with a Cory sticking out of a goldfishes mouth. Too often, the lives of both fish are lost. Not worth the risk long term.

While this is true - I have to agree that Cories and Goldies aren't good tankmates. I've seen too many threads back on old goldfish forums with a Cory sticking out of a goldfishes mouth. Too often, the lives of both fish are lost. Not worth the risk long term.
my point earlier in this thread
the goldfish does look like it has a spining injury down one side or thats just it rubbing itself on somthing sharp

the toxins in the corydora spines would make the fish irritable hence the scale loss and unfortunately this usually ends up in both fish dieing which might explain the corydora death she had a while back the goldfish is only starting to suffer from the infection badly now

call me mad if you like as im unsure :)

Attachments

• 4E32AC5F-6316-4F5C-B117-0416AFDB912C_LI.jpg
    4E32AC5F-6316-4F5C-B117-0416AFDB912C_LI.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
@fishyfun&fans

What you have circled in that photo is called the lateral line. It helps the goldfish with underwater detection and other things. All goldfish have it and it is normal. What she is speaking of are the gray parts within the areas the scales usually are. They are missing scales. They will grow back with time usually (not always) but will not have the pigment of the other scales so may look funny forever.

I agree. But I haven't mentioned that they were good or bad tankmates. I was only referring to the temperature.

I agree. But I haven't mentioned that they were good or bad tankmates. I was only referring to the temperature.
True. I've never had any luck with Cories at all so I definitely can't speak as to what they like and prefer. I like the Emerald and sometimes Albino ones - but couldn't keep them alive.

the lady at Petsmart said that we could put them together but they were all babies. But the goldfish are getting pretty big now.. I don’t want to look up to see someone’s tail fin going down someone elses throat.

We will put the Cory’s somewhere else.
We are finally getting rid of one of our Dalmatian Molly tanks tom. once we clean that tank our Coreys are going there.

I dont like the way that the goldfish have full run of the tank and go after the food aggressively. I hide the coreys food. They will have a better life starting tomorrow though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back