My glo shark has a big belly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Do 50% water change every day for the next 2 months. (Your fish may or may not survive)

Right now, you are doing what is called a fish-in cycle. (Mostly meant for advanced aquarists and it is the more deadly option). Surprisingly you said that all your levels are normal? That is near astonishing... What does the tetra strips test and what were the levels they showed?
No other fish are acting strange

Maybe it just ate a lot.
How long has it been fat for?
What does its poop look like?
Is it still eating normally?

If it's eating normally and does a coloured poop, it is probably fine.
If it stops eating and does a stringy white poop, then it has an internal problem.

(Mostly meant for advanced aquarists and it is the more deadly option).
Really..? I thought this was the default method for all of us newbies that had never heard of cycling..?

Im just about to set up a third tank, and whilst I’m a long way from being ‘advanced’ I’d never intentionally do a fish in cycle.

Ok! The type of fish you have is a shark minnow aka rainbow shark... I'm thinking your fish is either pregnant (if a girl) or has a disease known as dropsy... Also, you NEED a bigger tank... 40 gallons MINIMUM due to the tetras being with them... As they get bigger you'll need an upgrade.
Can you please explain to me how an egg laying fish gets pregnant? That must have something to do with Glo fish that I have never kept and know nothing about.

Can you please explain to me how an egg laying fish gets pregnant? That must have something to do with Glo fish that I have never kept and know nothing about.
Well, you need a mummy fish and a daddy fish to start with… and then the daddy fish say, “I’ll do the dishes darling you go and have a nice bubble bath…” and after that….😂😂😂

Really..? I thought this was the default method for all of us newbies that had never heard of cycling..?

Im just about to set up a third tank, and whilst I’m a long way from being ‘advanced’ I’d never intentionally do a fish in cycle.
Perhaps @Rocky998 is talking from personal experience?
Personally, given the repeated errors and subsequent fish deaths caused by trying to follow the allegedly bullet-proof and so-called 'fishless' cycling, I'm repeatedly saddened by the lack of promotion for the 'other' fishless cycling method, involving plants.
Because of the insistence on promoting the 'fishless' cycle, some seem to believe that a fish-in cycle is the only alternative. :(

Right now, you are doing what is called a fish-in cycle. (Mostly meant for advanced aquarists and it is the more deadly option). Surprisingly you said that all your levels are normal? That is near astonishing... What does the tetra strips test and what were the levels they showed?
Nitrate chlorine hardness ph nitrite and alkalinity

Maybe it just ate a lot.
How long has it been fat for?
What does its poop look like?
Is it still eating normally?

If it's eating normally and does a coloured poop, it is probably fine.
If it stops eating and does a stringy white poop, then it has an internal problem.
There’s a possibility it ate a lot, my shark wasn’t going for the glofish wafer food and I have netrite snail so I only put one agle wafer and the shark was chomping away, once I’m home later and can monitor longer I can answer the other questions

To add as another note I noticed the two of the tetra glo fish had tears in their fins on Monday (I’m not sure the reason) I’ve been checking everyday and they have healed themselves up since Monday

Its always good to know gender if possible... I didbnot know they were egg layers BUT if I am xorrect you can see the eggs a bit... Not this much ofc though

Fish in cycling for someone who doesnt know what the nitrite cycle even is would be extraordinarily challenging... Like I did with my betta... I had no clue about the cycle until it was way to late...

To add as another note I noticed the two of the tetra glo fish had tears in their fins on Monday (I’m not sure the reason) I’ve been checking everyday and they have healed themselves up since Monday
Thats good to hear... I'm starting to think (based on new info you've said) that your fish is just fat lol... BUT, sense you haven't cycled id still do a large water change to be safe.

Thats good to hear... I'm starting to think (based on new info you've said) that your fish is just fat lol... BUT, sense you haven't cycled id still do a large water change to be safe.
I just got home and I compared him the yesterday’s picture and he looks thinner , I think he just ate a lot of the agle wafer and didn’t let the netrite snails eat them 😮‍💨 I’ll update once he looks back to his normal size

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back