Ranchu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just sharing my Freshwater Eel

t5mt.jpg

0g27.jpg

1i7h.jpg

Cute..what eel is it?

It looks like those eels that are infesting our rice paddies and causing injury to the farmers haha. Nice eel though :D

Right you are =)

Its called a Rice Paddy Eel (Monopretus albus). It is a nocturnal fish that feeds on crustaceans, and other invertebrates in rice fields and canals. 

What makes it interesting to keep is that it is wild caught =)

And now he's 30 days old in my tank, and still alive and kicking. 

Tongue_Flicker said:
It looks like those eels that are infesting our rice paddies and causing injury to the farmers haha. Nice eel though
biggrin.png
Oh no! They bite or? Not fun any way they are hurting the farmers!
Way cool eel man!!!

Ranchu said:
Right you are =)

Its called a Rice Paddy Eel (Monopretus albus). It is a nocturnal fish that feeds on crustaceans, and other invertebrates in rice fields and canals. [/size]
What makes it interesting to keep is that it is wild caught =)

And now he's 30 days old in my tank, and still alive and kicking.
It is quite interesting to note that survive in such murky and poorly oxygenated water than what most normal freshwater eels would like i.e. fast-moving rivers or mountain streams. Yours look more brightly colored though having that yellow tints. The ones found here are usually plain brown or reddish brown in color. Where was it caught originally?

ag-au said:
It looks like those eels that are infesting our rice paddies and causing injury to the farmers haha. Nice eel though :D
Oh no! They bite or? Not fun any way they are hurting the farmers!
Way cool eel man!!!
The bigger and well-established ones bite. Not that painful but it's quite shocking and nervewracking when they do as stated on tv interviews haha! They been infesting rice paddies in the Philippines and the gov't is starting to become alarmed. They originally came from China, i think

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back