My Fish Are Going Nuts Any Reason?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

craigthomas2010

Reaction score
what will cuase stress on my mollies guppies and pink tetra

the mollies keeps circuling the airt filter very fash and the rest all are going up and down the window

? any reason for this

please help

what will cuase stress on my mollies guppies and pink tetra

the mollies keeps circuling the airt filter very fash and the rest all are going up and down the window

? any reason for this

please help

how long has your tank been setup and can you get some readings on your water quality you may need to start doing big water changes for a start

Need to know more detail:

1. Current stock.
2. Tank capacity
3. How you prepared tank for fish.
4. Water stats for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH

Need to know more detail:

1. Current stock.
2. Tank capacity
3. How you prepared tank for fish.
4. Water stats for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH

STARTED TANK 3 DAYS AGO FISH WERE IN 1 DAY AGO

2 MOLLIES
2 GUPPIES
2 PINK TETRA

50 LITRE TANK

ATM ABOUT 25 BABY FRY MOLLIES JUST BORN TODAY

PINK TETRA SEEM FINE

GUPPIES FINE

JUST THE MALE MOLLIE IS GOING NUTS AT THE MIRROR

SWIMMING UP AND DOWN THE TANK FACING MIRROR AND SWIMMING AROUND THE FILTER

AL THE FRY ARE STAYING AT TOP OF TANK NEAR HEATER

WATER TEMP IS 27 DEGREES CELCIUS

I HAVE ONLY A KIT TO TEST FOR NITRITE AND AMONIA AND BOTH SHOW UP THE BEST THEY CAN DO

JUST DONE A WATER CHANGE OF 25 % OF WATER

UMM NEED ANYTHING ELSE?

MANY THANKS

I would guess that your tank is currently cycling, read link in my signature so water stats are probably not OK. Any levels of ammonia and nitrite can lead to the skittish behaviour you describe. You have also not posted your exact readings in ppm for the amount of ammonia or nitrite in your tank. Your test kits should tell you these readings. Your tank is very new and fish are often very skittish to begin with, particularly if you do not have a lot of plants, wood, rocks and other aquascaping bits. The fish you have bought are schooling species and should ideally be kept in groups of 5+ to make them feel more secure and calm. However, you don't have the room for them. Finally, with all those fry you will eventually have problems with deteriorating water quality, so need to think about what you are going to do with them.

The high activity level is not all that unusual when fish are placed in a new tank. If there are not many places to hide, they will swim all over like crazy. The more hiding places you have, the more often you tend to see them out in the open swimming along leisurely. As you have already found, you received a bit of bad advice and are now facing a fish-in cycle. As long as you can change enough water to keep both the nitrites and ammonia below 0.25 ppm, the fish should do fine.

80% water changes everyday and test your water every day for ammonia and nitrite. Keep these two, ammonia and nitrite, at zero. You are doing a fish-in cycle. Read about it under the section called new freshwater tanks, beginner resources. Your fry will likely die and that is okay, there will always be more. Right now you have to focus on getting your biolgical filter up and running.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back