My First Tank. Oscars And Plecos.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lowcontrol

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
This is my very first tank. I bought it almost a year ago as an already established tank. 
It is a 55gal. When I originally got it, it was WAY over loaded. Three cichlids, two oscars, and two plecos. Guy was just gonna dump the fish and sell the equipment if I hadn't of got it from him. I was able to find two of the cichlids good homes quickly. I still have the Oscars and Plecos. I am trying to get a bigger tank now for the kids to swim around in. Looking to go to around 150gal.

Because of the amount of fish in there I have it heavily filtrated. At least heavy in my opinion for a 55, but I could be wrong. I have three Fluval filters (the 305 canister and two HOB 70s)

Also five pieces of live rock to help the PH and to create a few spots for the plecos. 

2wftfus.jpg

2luulu.jpg

34pf2va.jpg

1zqa2dv.jpg

2ry6ozt.jpg

Beautiful fish :D Must say i rather like the rock too :) and your tanks nice and clean

Thank you very much. I don't like a dirty tank so I work at keeping it clean especially with the bioload in that tank. 15-20% water changes every week, and keeping up with the filtration system maintenance is the biggest part.

Very nice set up and good looking fish to :)

Lovely looking tank. You might want to add some wood for the pleco's to rasp on, also oscars like wood. Just a word of warning though oscars are really strong, the rocks on the left if that top one is not stuck to the others they could push it off.

Personally, I don't think that rock is appropriate for the fish you have. The oscars are South American fish, which come from soft, acidic waters, with lots of wood.

I would also up your water changes, by quite a lot. When I had one oscar (oscars arecichlids, btw) and a gibbi in a 55 gallon (only temporarily! They have a 125 gallon now!), I was doing a minimum of 60 or 75% changes weekly, or the nitrates flew up, and there's a risk of stunting the fish also.

Definitely get them in a bigger tank, ASAP, too.

Good luck with them, they're very handsome fish
smile.png

The rocks were added to raise the ph some because of the other cichlids that were in there (I do know that Ocsars are cichlids but it was easier from a description standpoint, but thank you for making sure I knew considering its my first tank :). Now that they are gone though, I do need to redo the tank a little. 
I am looking for a new tank. I am wanting at least a 110 at minimum, but I am shooting for a 150/180gal. I start a new job in August so I should have one soon after. 
I will start with bigger water changes tomorrow, gotta have the extra water prepared. Thank you all for the complements and advise, I'm still kinda learning as I go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back