My First Platy Mom, Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlakeyBiscuit3.14

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So about a month after buying my first platies, one of my females finally popped! None of the fry seem to have survived, but I'm not too worried about that as I know more are on the way and I don't want to become overrun. My concern is that the female who just had the babies is now not doing very well. The first day after she had the babies she seemed normal, swimming around the tank, eating, just with a smaller belly. But now, just a couple days later, she been floating near the top of the tank gasping, fins clamped, not eating for two days. She is the only fish in the tank acting differently, and I did a 25% water change last night thinking that was the problem, but she is the same today. Is this normal for female platies to behave this way after having their fry? This is the first time my fish have had babies, so I don't really know what to expect.

No it's not normal after birthing fry unless there were complications for her.
My platy mama never did that so maybe yours is ill. Are there any other signs?

No, she has no white spots, red spots, or any other visible signs of illness other than mentioned above (staying at the top, not eating, clamped fins). That is very unfortunate to hear :( I was really hoping that this was just normal exhaustion from birth.

Do you have any ideas what may have caused the complications? Or what I could do to alleviate her current stress? I really have no ideas :( 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back