My First Nano, Inhabitants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nkd5024

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I found a great deal on a 6 gal jbj nano cube this weekend and am decided what to do with it.

So for mods, I have just replaced the stock pump with a maxijet 600 that I had sitting around in my closet.
I also cut out a small hole in the plastic grate that works as an overflow in the top left corner, and put a small piece of vinyl tubing connected to the stock pump, which I placed at the bottom of the left chamber.
I did this to add more flow to the tank without having to put a powerhead directly into the tank, which would have taken up way to much space.
I plan on eventually getting some Loc-line pieces to make it look nicer.
I am wondering whether making the left and center chambers into one big chamber will save me any troubles?
Does anyone else have any other modifications that they recommend to make life any easier for me?

My main question is, what species of fish I could happily fit into this small tank?
I really don't want to start any arguments, as I know a lot of people have different opinions on the matter.
But don't worry, you won't be seeing any clownfish in this small of a tank. I think we can all agree thats not a good idea.

Right now, the only fish I am looking at are:

- Clown Goby (1.5" max)
- Citrinis Goby (2" max)
- Neon Goby (2" max)
- Hi Fin Banded Goby (2" max)
- Green Banded Goby (2" max)
- Court Jester Goby (2" max)

What do you guys think about these fish?
I think the jester goby might be an iffy choice since they are a more free swimming species, but if I like that they are free swimming.
Let me know what you guys think. I am thinking about adding one of these fish, a shrimp, and a CUC.

Thanks,
Nick

refresh my memory is a court jester Amblygobius rainfordi or Amblyeleotris hectori? cant ever remember all the common names :) either way i would of said it will be ok in a 6g as they only get about 1.5inch long.
TBH i would say either go for a pistol/goby pair or a clown goby and pack the tank out with bright zoa's, rics or even mini maxi's

I was talking about the Rainsfordi goby (Amblygobius rainfordi) I like them better personally.

I've never had a pistol shrimp before, is the clicking load, or annoying at all?
Will the pair up with any species of goby or only the sand dwelling ones?
I am thinking that if I do weekly water changes, like I do on my reef, I could possibly have a clown goby with the Rainsford goby.

I definitely plan on filling the tank with nice zoanthids and mushies.
When you say mini Maxi's, do you mean Tridacna Maxima?
I don't think that my lighting will be enough to sustain them, I only have 18 watts of power compact (10,000K and Actinic)
Even if I retrofit another ballast on there that still only 36 watts. :huh:
Although I'm not an expert on clams I've only ever had one so let me know what you think?

I think the biggest issue is going to be aquascaping the tank and getting enough flow around the rocks.
We'll see.

Thanks,
Nick.

No mini maxi's are anemones, Stichodactyla tapetum I think and looking at it with such a small space it may bbot be such a great idea, I think your fish would blunder into them.
They don't require vast amounts of light but like the odd feed.
I have never heard my pistol shrimp click and they will pair with most sand dwelling gobies, if in doubt just ask :)

Do they move around like other anemones?

There are some with BEAUTIFUL colors, but I'm not really a fan of keeping anemones for multiple reasons.
Plus they look like ricordeas to me.

I do like the pistol shrimp idea though, I love having different symbiotic relationships in my tanks!

Nick

Yeah they do move around and do sting but they look brilliant in groups.

Go for the candy cane pistol shrimp. The are striped red and white and stay small.

That goby pairs with these guys

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GobioidPIX/ShrimpGobiesPIX/MahidoliaStonogobiopsTomiyamichthysVander.htm

Eh, I'll think i'll pass on the mini maxi anemones.
I just don't want the risk of them stinging any of the zoas or mushies.
I could probably also add some small soft corals like a kenya tree or something and maybe small LPS frags until they grow to large.

I will start the journal for this tank tonight, which will include pictures!

Nicks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back