My First Foray Into Raising Fry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know about the water quality I issues, I bought them before learning about that.

There is absolutely no aggression in my tank, the betta is super chill so it won't be a problem.

It sounds like it's sort of a mystery as to what color they will be so we will see!

How long until they color up?
Some will color faster than others. I kept mine in brackish water, though, so I don't know that it will make a difference. My males started showing black at 3 weeks and real colors at 4 weeks. My females got some black and yellow at about 25 days, call it 3.5 weeks. I did end up with a couple of "false" females, which were actually males that developed an obvious gonopodium at 4 weeks before they developed any color at all.
I kept mine in brackish water to get around my hardness issues.

As long as you are aware of possible issues, I won't badger you about it.

Some will color faster than others. I kept mine in brackish water, though, so I don't know that it will make a difference. My males started showing black at 3 weeks and real colors at 4 weeks. My females got some black and yellow at about 25 days, call it 3.5 weeks. I did end up with a couple of "false" females, which were actually males that developed an obvious gonopodium at 4 weeks before they developed any color at all.
I kept mine in brackish water to get around my hardness issues.

As long as you are aware of possible issues, I won't badger you about it.
umm 2 of my females that are alreadey grown up and i think ready to be sold are yellow while their mom and dad are red. also another baby male is just a shiny yellow and his dad was red and mom was dulll see through yellow.

Hey Sgooosh i also had a yellow female, think there known as a blonde guppy. I wasnt overly keen on her at first but i have a few pals in the fish trade & told me its unusual to see a full yellow with no traits of anything on her.
Sadly she died giving birth, the males just would not leave her alone after dropping a few fry, By the time i realised what was goin on she was lay on the sand gasping, But she never made it. Poor girl

Last edited:
Hey Sgooosh i also had a yellow female, think there known as a blonde guppy. I wasnt overly keen on her at first but i have a few pals in the fish trade & told me its unusual to see a full yellow with no traits on anything on her.
Sadly she died giving birth, the males just would not leave her alone after dropping a few fry, By the time i realised what was goin on she was lay on the sand gasping, But she never made it. Poor girl
A 3 to 1 ratio of females to males is preferred. The males will harass the females until they die or abort in order to breed them more. Multiple females per male spreads this aggression

Hey Sgooosh i also had a yellow female, think there known as a blonde guppy. I wasnt overly keen on her at first but i have a few pals in the fish trade & told me its unusual to see a full yellow with no traits of anything on her.
mine also passed after swallowing a rock or something :( mine looked like an albino without red eyes. mine looked more like yellow tuxedo guppy. now that i look, her child does look like a yellow tuxedo. my favorite male who also passed away was a red blonde cobra cross. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back