My First Death - Any Ideas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmyStardust

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

We suffered our first ever loss today... Blueberry the Male Guppy has died... :-(

I'm absolutely gutted!

So here's the story...

I haven't done a water change for 2 days as my little boy has been unwell - but as I've been doing a fish-in cycle for over a month now (I know!! Followed LFS advice, turned out they were morons - didn't know what "cycling" was til I found this place!) I didn't think it would have too much of an effect.

Did some water tests earlier to find the Ammonia and NitrIte levels were up a bit so I did a 40% water change and added some ammonia remover! Up until this point all the fish were fine...

2 hours later I notice little Blueberry wedged down beside a rock... I tapped the glass a little and he shot away from the rock and landed belly-up on the bottom of the tank... I was devestated! :(

So I immediately set about another set of water tests -

pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
NitrIte - 0
NitrAte - 5

I don't know where little Blueberry has gone now - I have a couple of shrimp in the tank so I'm hoping they haven't found him...

Has anyone got any idea's what's happened here? Could it have been the cold water from the water change? Maybe the ammonia remover?? :unsure:

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :good:

So, does it look like he maybe has a swimbladder disorder? If he tried to swim and ended going upside down, that could be it. Yes, sometimes it can be brought on by sudden changes in tank water temperature - it's best to bring the clean, conditioned water to around the same temp as the tank water before adding it - especially as you have been doing lots of water changes due to the fish-in cycling. (Your stats look fine, by the way).

But without seeing him, it's just a bit of a guess. Another reason could be that he's developed a bacterial infection.

A lot of guppies these days are fairly weak and don't last long, anyway, unfortunately.

Regards - Athena

So, does it look like he maybe has a swimbladder disorder? If he tried to swim and ended going upside down, that could be it. Yes, sometimes it can be brought on by sudden changes in tank water temperature - it's best to bring the clean, conditioned water to around the same temp as the tank water before adding it - especially as you have been doing lots of water changes due to the fish-in cycling. (Your stats look fine, by the way).

But without seeing him, it's just a bit of a guess. Another reason could be that he's developed a bacterial infection.

A lot of guppies these days are fairly weak and don't last long, anyway, unfortunately.

Regards - Athena

He seemed fine up until the water change...? I think maybe it was the cold water going into the tank... :(

The others seem fine... So, maybe he did have something wrong with just him??

How would I go about making the fresh water a little warmer? Is it ok to add a little warm water to it from the hot tap??

I mix hot and cold water from my tap. I put them both on high, and the mix seems to work out pretty well.

(I know!! Followed LFS advice, turned out they were morons - didn't know what "cycling" was til I found this place!)

I'm in the same boat as you, hun!

Crap 'advice' from the LFS, new tank, emergency fish-in cycling, a dead coolie loach and a plec with 'pop eye'. Oorgh...

:crazy:

So yeah, I'm doing high percentage water changes too and yes, I'm using dechlorinated warm water mixed from both the hot and cold taps.

:good:

Thanks for the advice guys... :good:

I'm so upset... Poor little thing... :rip:

The other's seem ok - except one seems to be swimming a little weird... But maybe I'm saying that because I'm obsessively watching them now?? :unsure:

What are the symptoms of swim bladder??

I've just done a search on the forum and found THIS thread. There's a link in Wilder's post that may shed some light on your problem.

;)

P.S. Take advice from the others before taking any from me, I'm a newbie too and don't want to point you in the wrong direction!!

Thanks for your help Hun :flowers:

I think it was probably the water change that did it... I feel so stupid - but for some reason I didn't think you were supposed to use hot tap water - after it's been dechlorinated I don't suppose it matters though?! Lol!

I think it was probably the water change that did it... I feel so stupid - but for some reason I didn't think you were supposed to use hot tap water - after it's been dechlorinated I don't suppose it matters though?! Lol!

I did exactly the same thing - I used cold water on my first 50% water change. No idea why, I just did.

:S

...and then FREAKED when the temperature dropped from a nice, cozy 26ºc to 20ºc!!!

My poor fishes!!

I did exactly the same thing - I used cold water on my first 50% water change. No idea why, I just did.

:S

...and then FREAKED when the temperature dropped from a nice, cozy 26ºc to 20ºc!!!

My poor fishes!!

Aww - well I'll certainly be using warmer water tomorrow!! Lol!

My son (who had the fish as his "first pets") hasn't noticed yet so we're hoping to get him a replacement later - hopefully Blueberry II will last longer!

I guess it kinda makes sense that he was more sensitive - he was blue and silver - I read in one of the threads about guppie's that any that are blue/purple-ish are less hardy! -_-

*grins*

Uh ohhhhhhhh...

Let's hope the little fella doesn't notice the difference!! *lol*

;)

Well he's only 4 so the old - "Blueberry must be hiding - he must be playing hide & seek with his friends!" - will probably still work! Lol! :rolleyes:

If you have shrimp in the tank make sure you dont have copper heating pipes as your hot water pies could have coipper in them , this will kill shrimps
your best bet is to buy a spare heater if you still want to keep shrimp and snails - i have a cheap 300w one from ebay i use for water changes really warms the water container up quickly
I warm all 60 ltrs at once then hubby takes out the buckets to add to the tank

Good luck with your fishies

Sarah xxx

p.s. We've had a few fish over the time that have had to be sent to "fishy heaven" (pressing a special secret button where the water meter is then flushing down the loo) Kids really understand well and stops them fretting over where their fish has gone , mine are 3 and 5 :)

If you have shrimp in the tank make sure you dont have copper heating pipes as your hot water pies could have coipper in them , this will kill shrimps
your best bet is to buy a spare heater if you still want to keep shrimp and snails - i have a cheap 300w one from ebay i use for water changes really warms the water container up quickly
I warm all 60 ltrs at once then hubby takes out the buckets to add to the tank

Good luck with your fishies

Sarah xxx

p.s. We've had a few fish over the time that have had to be sent to "fishy heaven" (pressing a special secret button where the water meter is then flushing down the loo) Kids really understand well and stops them fretting over where their fish has gone , mine are 3 and 5 :)

Hmmm - very true...

What about warm water that has been boiled in the kettle from the cold water tap??

Hoping I won't have to explain fishy heaven just yet!! Lol! ;)

I use cold water on 25% changes probably no more but even on small changes or top ups I have the water container above the tank and syphon the water off the container to tank using air hose. The small diameter means it takes ages but it gives the heater time to catch up so temperature mayber drops half to 1 degree c at most over long period.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back