My First Cichlid Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guitarplayer97

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I am new into having an aquarium, and i am interested in cichlids. African cichlids to be specific. I bought a 10 gallon tank, with a filter that has a bio-wheel. It cleans the complete tank 10 times in a hour. (Sorry, i don't know what you call this) The guy at my LFS told me i could have 5-6 cichlids in it, since i have good filtration. So far I have a 3 inch rainbow shark, 1 and 3/4 inch red zebra, and a 1/2 inch black convict. I was wondering what would you guys suggest adding in? This is my first time with cichlids, so any helpful info would be greatly appreicated. Also, someone told me to overstock the tank? Is this true?

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but 10 gallon is too small for a rainbow shark and they should really have 55 gallons, I am sure someone with more experiance can advise you regarding the other stocking.

Also did you cycle your tank before stocking? 

sorry forgot to say welcome to the forum .

Thanks for the welcome. And yes, I let it cycle for a week or so. Also have done water tests, and my parameters are great!

Err, I'm pretty sure 10g is too small for ALL of those fish!
I'm sure most other people will tell you the same...

You haven't cycled the tank. :/ Letting it sit for a week does nothing but ensure the equipment is working correctly.
Have a read of the link in my signature to find out what cycling is. :)

What are you water parameters? The exact numbers - if possible.

I recommend that you return your fish back to the store and fishless cycle your tank and either buy a bigger tank (and get your fish back) or find fish that are suitable for a 10 gallon.

A lot of LFS staff seem to give bad advice just to make a sale, which, is what your LFS has done :/

You overstock a tank if you keep mbuna cichlids, as it helps spread aggression, but I wouldn't even think about keeping mbuna if you aren't experienced yet (and not possible in a 10). As stated, there are no cichlids that will work in a 10g, sorry. And it's pretty much impossible to cycle a tank in 10 days unless you have used mature media in your filter and then stocked the tank immediately to source the ammonia. How did you cycle the tank?

I kept some feeder goldfish in there, and also got some gravel from my uncle's tank that he had had for a couple years. He said that is called "seeding" the tank or something..
So maybe I should return the fish, then maybe go with some tiger barbs? I want something kid of aggressive. Tired of the goldfish and platys

I think the tank will be too small as well for barbs 10 gallon is quite small , they are very active and need more room

also check the beginners cycling section, you may need to return/rehome all your present stock

You cant seed with gravel, you can only seed with media that has come out of a filter, like sponge or floss, etc.

Tbh, there isn't anything really 'aggressive' that you could keep in a 10g. Someone may come along and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is? This is a really a good thread that is pinned as to what fish are suitable in a 10g tank.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/116208-recommendations-for-a-10-gallon/

Tank is WAAAYY to small. But also your Black convict and your Zebra Should not be together. They are entirely different cichlids and water needs are pretty much opposite as far as hardness and PH. Not compatible. Any African tank needs to be 50+ gallons with more floor space then height. No gravel. They need sand.
So to be clear your Back convict(while ..yes a cool fish. Is indeed a central american cichlid)
If you attempt to leave them together in that 10g.. it's a coin toss but either the rainbow shark or the Zebra will off one of the others.. My $ is on the red zebra
Bigger tank ..make sure you have hard water and research to make sure you do have Africans and compatible africans at that

+1 to all
Return the stock
Fishless cycle
If you want aggressive fish get a Siamese fighter and 8 neon tetra, they look beautiful together and fighters are aggressive, just only when put male with male.

10G really is too small for 99% of fish to keep them happily, stick to ONE red fighter and 8 blue neons AFTER you FULLY cycle the tank (3-8 weeks usually)

Surprised your uncle or whoever told you ya could keep what you have with old gravel :/

Also avoid 99.9% LFS advice, come here and ask in advance to get best answers :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back