My First Attempt at a Planted Aquarium

OP
V

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It doesnt look like much imo but I say just scrape it off. I'm one of the people who believe that a little algae in an aquarium is beneficial so theres that but if you dont like it just scrape it off.
Thanks @Rocky998. It doesn't really bother me and if it's doing no harm then I'll leave it for the time being while reducing my lighting window for a few days. I'm away this weekend for the bank holiday so will tell my son to reduce the time the lights are on.

Wills

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Looking really good :) Just one thing to note, the algae you have between the sand and the glass could be blue green algae as thats where it starts, it would be worth scraping it and vacumming it out before it spreads above the substrate. Best thing to use is an old store or credit card.

Wills

OP
V

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looking really good :) Just one thing to note, the algae you have between the sand and the glass could be blue green algae as thats where it starts, it would be worth scraping it and vacumming it out before it spreads above the substrate. Best thing to use is an old store or credit card.

Wills
Thanks @Wills, I have one or two old credit cards!

OP
V

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Having been away for a few days it was time to scrape the algae from the front of the tank and do my water change. The algae below the sand level came away quite easily and I managed to vacuum most of it away.

My stats/parameters are steady and so I decided I'd like some more fish and so I bought 8 more Pentazonas and 10 Embers. They've settled in well and feeding time is a hive of activity. I've added some more photos, all of which are taken on my phone, I must get my DSLR out and attempt to take some pictures with that.
20210831_171946.jpg20210831_172020.jpg20210831_172032.jpg20210831_172202.jpg

Brighton Fan

Reaction score
So, as I mentioned in my introductory post, after 15 years away I have rekindled my enjoyment of fishkeeping. I have purchased a Juwel Rio 240, as I am not allowed to get a dog or 4 kittens, and have decided that I'll set up a low maintenance planted tank. So here are a few pictures showing how I've set it up. The plan is to add my fully matured Fluval 307 to run alongside the internal filter, I currently have 6 assorted Corys and 10 Pentazona Barbs in the mature tank and they will be moving over once it is safe for them to do so.

I bought a jungle style tank plant collection https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/plant-collection-for-48x22-jungle-style-tank-101-p.asp, along with some moss on coconut shells, some dragon stone and a large piece of Redmoor wood.

I'll try and keep you updated as the tank progresses.

Be interesting to see how those barbs get on in hard water

Most reactions