My First Aquarium Journey....so Far....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ricky685

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, Thought I should share my journey into tropical aquarium so far...... I managed to pick up this tank second hand and decided to
IMG_00000066_zpsb912fa3f.jpg

refurb it.
So I stripped it all down, rewired all the lights and sorted all the electrics into a new junction box and rewired all the switches, resealed this inside, not that it was leaking just needed tidying up.
IMG_00000069_zps9367158a.jpg

Than came the filter, originally it was fitted with under gravel filter with two power head, after a bit of research I decided to make my own bespoke filters: from this - 
IMG_00000081_zps06f1c0ed.jpg

to this - 
IMG_00000082_zpse1c6962a.jpg

IMG_00000083_zps7ad2e895.jpg

Two of these at a cost of £8 each fitted nicely into two of the wet legs
IMG_00000087_zpsa4c9ae0d.jpg

I then modified the intake holes to ensure good water flow and in went the gravel
IMG_00000089_zps41ba4433.jpg

Then filled and checked everything was working, it was and has been cycling now for two weeks, I was fortunate to have some filter media donated by a member of this forum.... a big thanks to liana_u2kuk.

IMG_00000107_zpse70b55c3.jpg

IMG_00000106_zps0b85698c.jpg

IMG_00000102_zps73b81972.jpg

I know it looking  a bit bear at them moment. But after two week the current levels are:
PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 80

Not to sure if I'm on track with these levels? Do they look about right for a cycle of 15 days? 

I'm looking for some recommendation on fish, I am starting with around 10 neon tetras, and some guppies and upsidedown cat fish but cant seem to decide on what would be some good companions to these, every time I research I keep confusing my self with all the different types, so any recommendations would be great.
Also I am looking for advice, recommendations on some easy, manageable plants to start off with.

Cheers
Rick

Looks great and some clever modifications.

very nice, personally wouldn't bother with the neons, they are very sensitive and prefer an established tank, my tanks been running nearly a year and I still cant keep neons alive!

Really surprised to hear that I thought the neons were pretty hardy,what would you suggest to start off with?

Good job!
I'll be watching this closely. :) no pressure. ;)

Cheers, I've lost around 10% of the water through evaporation in thefirst  two weeks its been running, if I topped it up would this count as a water change?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back