My Filter Just Packed In - How Long Do I Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rms

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Earlier posted a question about co2 feeding into my filter from a diffuser and after reading a bit decided to feed it directly from the co2 tube instead of from the diffuser. Turned my filter off, fed the tube just a small amount into the side grill of the filter (Fluval U2) and turned it back on. Nothing happened. I can't imagine the tube going in would stop it from working, it was only just inside, pressing against the filter media and there is nothing in there that relates directly to power. I took the tube out returned the filter to the water and still nothing. So basically my 2 month old filter has packed in. Brilliant!!

I have an old filter as back up and guessing to fire it up and squeeze my Fluval media around it's intake to seed it. Then just hope for the best. I've overstocked my tank, but upped the filter size to compensate. The old filter will not cope with the bioload though so I'll be heading for a pretty major mini, if not complete cycle. Again....!

Has anyone had an issue with Fluval and tried repairing? I'd really rather avoid the above and wondering how long roughly I have? Would it be a good idea to keep the filter media in the tank and take out the filter housing and open it up? Would this preserve the bacteria for longer if placed over an air stone? Should I just put up with re-cycling and send the filter back?

Not really sure what to do but lots of ideas (right or wrong) popping into my head. I've had months of ups and downs, dead fish, fish-in-tank-cycling, panic and making bad decisions. Even ended up running two tanks un-cycled!! Finally it's all running smoothly on one tank. Started on plants and all going really well. Now this. Grrrrrrr!!

Thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Firstly, stay calm - you probably have longer than you think so there's no need to panic just yet!

Get the old filter going and add as much of your mature media as you can to it. Reshape it, stuff it in, whatever you have to do. If all the media doesn't fit, don't just remove it from the tank. You really do have no hope if you let it dry up! If you've left it in (which hopefully you have), some of the bacteria will start to die after a couple of hours if there's been no oxygenated water passing through it, so an air stone would help a little but obviously not as much as transferring the media.

If you think you can safely repair the filter, then give it a shot but if I were you I'd go out and buy a replacement as soon as possible - first thing tomorrow morning if you can! For the time being, the main thing is to keep the media wet. Some bacteria will die but you're certainly not going to end up having to do a full cycle again if you get the spare filter going and keep the media wet. 

Good luck! 

I have heard that filter bacteria are more resilient than you think.

Bacteria, without food (ammonia) can survive for at least 10 days without any problems.
They will basically simply go into a dormant mode.

As long as kept wet, can survive easily for a week while you get a filter sorted out.

If you keep filter media submerged in water, a week will be fine, as soon as ammonia reaches them, they will simply wake up and get up to par very quickly.

As a note of interest, even when bacteria filter sponge has dried out, bacteria out can survive for a certain amount of time, cannot remember exactly, but apparently can be weeks.

Like said, they just go dormant and yes a few may die off but the main colony should survive for quite some time.

Even when has been a dormant state for quite some time, it may take a few days for the bacteria to regain strength and get going again properly.

Many thanks. Sponges have been chopped to fit the old filter. Lucky for me I started shutting a tank down yesterday so I just put the filter media cartridges inside the cannister filter for that and started it back up. Should keep the bactieria alive until I get the new filter.

In terms of paying for a new filter, should I have to as it's only 2 months old? I thought the Fluval U series came with 3 year warranty and I can't see how putting a plastic pipe into the side grill would break it. Nothing there to break. Well I'll see I suppose.

Thanks again.
Ch4rlie said:
I have heard that filter bacteria are more resilient than you think.

Bacteria, without food (ammonia) can survive for at least 10 days without any problems.
They will basically simply go into a dormant mode.

As long as kept wet, can survive easily for a week while you get a filter sorted out.

If you keep filter media submerged in water, a week will be fine, as soon as ammonia reaches them, they will simply wake up and get up to par very quickly.

As a note of interest, even when bacteria filter sponge has dried out, bacteria out can survive for a certain amount of time, cannot remember exactly, but apparently can be weeks.

Like said, they just go dormant and yes a few may die off but the main colony should survive for quite some time.

Even when has been a dormant state for quite some time, it may take a few days for the bacteria to regain strength and get going again properly.

Many thanks to you both. I am calmed ;)

Most reactions

trending

Back