My female platy just lies on the bottom??

beastie

Reaction score
1. Water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp', Hardness etc)
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate < 40ppm
PH - (unknown)
Nitrite = 0
hardness (unknown)

2. A full description of the fishes symptoms.

I have 5 males and 1 female platy. She comes up to the surface for food but for the past two days she just lies in holes and shallows wagging her tail. She seems ok. no obvious external symptons.

3. How often you do water changes and how much.
Every 3-4 weeks - 25%

4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water.
Filter aid after a water replacement

5. What tank mates are in the tank.
2 silver sharks
6 danios
3 tiger barbs
1 catfish

6. Tank size.
180 litres

7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish?
No.

I hope she isn't dying!

is the female in the same tank with the 5 males? because she could be stressed out from being chased around by them

She is in the same tank as the others. I only found out this morning how to tell the sexes apart.....i thought she might be pregnant but now I'm not too sure as she doesn't have a big tummy. Should I buy some more females?

getting more females would be a good idea, ideally you should have two females for every male. have you had the platies for a while now? did you notice if she was being chased around? and she could be pregnant. pregnant fish usually alienate themselves before they give birth and spend time on the bottom of the tank hiding, chasing others away. and all other fish are acting fine, right?

Yeah,
All the other fish seem fine. I hope she's pregnant! :rolleyes:
I'll get some more females tm but I'm not sure that I can add that many to my tank. I'll add 4 more I think!

I've bought four more platies. I even bought one of those net thingies for catching fry and put her in it. Yet today she is still lying on her side at the bottom. She is eating fine and comes up for food. No fry.

OK, she's now had 4 more females in her with her for 2 days and she is still just lying there flapping her tail.......what now? :(

She's at least 6 months old. It's weird as she is still doing it 1 week later :( She swims to the surface when there is food around but then she just settles back on the bottom again. I have noticed that she doesn't float too well and seems to struggle to get to the surface more than the others. When she stops swimming she sinks.

negative bouyancy suggests probs with lack of air in swim bladder or ingestion of something heavy,gravel?! or dense growth squeezing swim bladder

andrew

That seems likely. Sounds pretty terminal though unless I can perform microsurgery on a fish :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back