My extreme DIY journey from rookie to almost pro. Low Iron glass aquarium/sump. Anoxic Filtration System. Dr. Kevin Novak.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rockfella

Reaction score
OK. This madness started in mid April 2021 after an old school friend of mine gave me her small aquarium as she was fed up cleaning it regularly and burying dead fish. It was a 28 liter small tank. It had everything so I added Seachem Matrix (popular biomedia) and bought 5 small Danios from my LFS. They are alive and very happy in a bigger tank now. Why Danios because they are small so were suited for the small tank and they are very hardy. The first attempt to build the tank was total disaster, I gradually enhanced my skills ... pics for reference.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

Haven't heard of oil-dri being used to make an anoxic filter before, I'm intrigued. I was only familiar with a certain brand of cat litter being suitable (of course the name escapes me).

Haven't heard of oil-dri being used to make an anoxic filter before, I'm intrigued. I was only familiar with a certain brand of cat litter being suitable (of course the name escapes me).
Oil-dri/Safe T Sorb/Turface MVP/Kitty litter (The brand is Special kitty litter Walmart baked/non-clumping) all are baked clay. Simple baked/calcined clay with no additives nothing else :)

Last edited:
Oil-dri/Safe T Sorb/Kitty litter (baked/non-clumping) all are baked clay. Simple baked/calcined clay with no additives.
Well, you've just made anoxic filtration much more accessible to me!

@ Some pics have been uploaded twice. Please ignore.

PFB what happened when I did my first ever fishless cycle with 25% strength ammonia. Later it was confirmed this is "normal" with AFS (Anoxic filtration System)
1.jpg

3.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back