My Endlers Seem To Be Dying

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jofish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I had 8 black bar endlers in my mixed tank. I noticed one had gone off by itself and then it died. Now another is lying quiet.

All my levels are fine and the tank has been set up for several months. How do I know if I have a problem or is it just normal loss? I have read they have lots span of two years,but I guess you never know how old they are when you buy them.

Hi Jofish, sorry you're losing your endlers. Not sure what the problem could be, perhaps a few more specifics about your setup would be useful to help diagnose the problem.

What temp, for example, is your tank? What are the NH3/4, NO2, NO3, ph values etc? Tank size, other inhabitants?

Temp 26, ph8, no3 0, no2 0, nh3 0, kh4 4,po4 .5.

125 litre
1 silver Mollie,has had two sets of young in last 6 weeks,
5 copper rasbora
8 neon tetra
5 black tetra
6 endlers
3 panda Cory
2 black in Cory

The filters have been changed one at a time. The only thing that I am not happy about is that the water is slightly cloudy. My nursery tank is clear as a bell. Any ideas welcome.

"The filters have been changed one at a time."

What exactly, do you mean by this?
Changing filter media (sponge, floss, ceramic etc?) inside the filter itself or changing over the entire filter?

It's possible it's just a 'normal' loss as all of your water params do appear to fit quite nicely with endlers. And hopefully the cloudiness is just a bacterial bloom. 

Has it always been cloudy? You say the tank has been established for a number of months, but, I have found that cloudy water caused by a bloom happens quite close to the start of a new tank. As Ch4 says, can you be more specific about what you did with the filter?

The thing that I'm worried about is that you say you have 0ppm nitrate.

In a normal tank, even one with a reasonable number of plants in, one would expect to see a nitrate reading. My thinking is that if the nitrate reading is wrong, the ammonia and nitrite readings may be wrong too.

What test kit are you using to test, paper or liquid?

Sorry I meant that changed one side of the filter and then the other. My tank has been going about three months. The clouding is quite new. Just a question of sitting it out do you think.

I am using liquid tests.

I have redone the nitrates and it is 5.

Jofish said:
Sorry I meant that changed one side of the filter and then the other. My tank has been going about three months. The clouding is quite new. Just a question of sitting it out do you think.

Sorry, but you need to be a little more specific than that am afraid. 

I am thinking that you are following what the filter media box says, to change filter media every 2 weeks or so.  
This is more of a marketing gimmick from the manufactures to get you to keep buying their products. In reality, you should not replace filter media such as sponge and ceramics.

Sponge you clean in old tank water to get rid of gunk, and only half at a time.
If you replace sponge media, chances are you are losing your beneficial bacteria that is needed to be able to process ammonia and nitrite that is basically a byproduct of what fish 'breathes' out and fish waste.
Only need to change filter sponge if its literally falling apart after years of use.

Ceramic media, in form of noodles or tubes type, these are best left alone as a lot of bacteria do live on those.

However, filter floss, more like a very fine sponge or wool which helps get rid of fine particles from tank water, these can be replaced without really affecting your filter.

And lastly, carbon, this is used for removing harmful metals and medication form tank water, it is actually only useful for a few weeks if you are treating the tank with meds for whatever reasons, thereafter its not particularly useful, I do not use carbon in any of my filters, but i do keep some in a box in cupboard just in case its needed.

Jofish said:
I am using liquid tests.

I have redone the nitrates and it is 5.

Liquid test.

Which one, assuming Api Freshwater test kit?

Do follow how to do the test to the letter on the instructions, and also be aware that nitrate test are actually quite inaccurate, you REALLY need to shake the bottles of nitrate solution like theres no tomorrow to have a chance of getting a accurate test of nitrate.

And finally, have you read this article on how to cycle your tank? 

Very useful and contains good information that helps to understand why and how this cycling works.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

I used to have endless and had the same problem started with 10 3 male 7 female and they all died within a month or so. Checked all the levels and they were all fine. I had a ruby shark in the tank and I was wondering if he was chasing them and stressing them out. But other than that I don't know why mine died. It's a sham the lovely fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back