My dog is jealous of my bettas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IHaveADogToo

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My betta fish all know their names, and come up to the glass when I call them. Ellen, a juvenile female, and Dart, an adult male, both live alone in their own tanks. I also have a 30 gallon with 5 adult females in it. Each one knows her name. In the 30 gallon, the girls will do what looks like a runway fashion show for me as I call out their names.
iu

So, anyway, my dog, Buffy, gets jealous when she hears the fish's names. Specifically, Ellen and Dart. If I say "Hi Dart" or "Hi Ellen", Buffy comes right up to me, whines, and starts nudging at me with her nose, like "excuse me, that is MY attention you are giving away". For some reason though, the sorority runway show doesn't seem to trigger her.

Not looking for advice here. Just sharing.

Here's a picture of my jealous dog begging for attention :)

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 408
Your dog has a reason to be upset, how dare you show attention to mere fish, dogs first thankyou :)

One of my dogs use to catch fish out of buckets when I was selling them. I would catch out 10-20 fish and put them in a bucket of water. And then bag them up for the shops. My dogs use to hang around watching and I never thought anything of it until one day the petshop owner said there were only 9 fish in the bag. I said there should be 10 but nope, only 9. I went home and grabbed a couple more to apologise for the mistake. As I was catching the fish and putting them in the bucket I noticed my dog looking at the fish in the bucket. Then she shoves her face in the water and walks off with a $20 fish in her mouth. The cheeky buggar had been catching them out and eating them when I wasn't looking :)

My ferrets did a similar thing too. I came home one day and they had gotten out of their cage and one was swimming around a tank and the other was sitting on the coverglass eating a $50 fish. They were rehomed shortly after that :)

OMG haha. That sounds like it was quite the experience! Ferrets swimming around in the fish tank, eating your livestock. I can't imagine! You must've been heated! At least the dog was sneaky about it. Sounds like you caught the ferrets in the middle of a pool party!

Sounds like you caught the ferrets in the middle of a pool party!
lol, yeah literally caught them red handed (pawed). Ferret biting the head of an adult Glossolepis incisus rainbowfish whilst sitting on the coverglass. And its mate swimming about the tank chasing the others. They were having a great time :)

The white light in my community tank (in the living room) goes out half an hour before the blue one.
Every night as soon as the white light goes out my dog and cat go across to the tank. That's because they know I am on my way to watch the nighttime feed and there are about to be cuddles up for grabs.

My cat knows all my fish tanks, and runs around in front of me at feeding time so he can be sat in front of the glass when the fish come out.

He loves loaches most of all; he likes the weather loach in the living room, but the kuhli loach in my bedroom tank are his favourites, he always gives a little chirrup and gallops up the stairs at top speed, when he realises I'm going up to feed them!

Y'all with cats got me jealous now. My pup has no interest in the fish. Won't even look at the tank. Follows me around while I feed the fish, but doesn't acknowledge the fish or the tanks, just looks at me the whole time. And if I talk to the fish, she starts whining. "No, don't talk to the fish, talk to MEEEEE".

Oh, poor dog, I understand him. As a woman, I'm also very jealous. LOL. To tell the truth, we had a similar problem. We have a dog and a cat. And really, the cat is very gentle and she is always cuddling and basking in my arms, but the dog is very active and he likes to run and play in the yard. But anyway, if he sees the cat near me he came to us and also pulls muzzle to be stroked and kissed. Honestly, they are like small children. My husband always nervous that the dog is drooling on the sofa and pillows, but I can't chase him away, he also wants affection.

Last edited:
LOL, my dog is getting jealous of my fishes when I am feeding them.
That cutie pie starts fighting for the attention, and when not offered, he gets upset and doesn't come to me for a couple of hours.
However, it's much harder to take care of a dog than of some fish. So, yes, fishes have their requirements as well, but not as much as dogs.
I remember once, my dog, one of a sudden, became hyperactive at night. After reading some articles online, actually one of them was https://www.oodlelife.com/why-is-my-dog-so-hyper-at-night/. I figured out that the reason was that he was eating too close to his sleep time, and yes, we went to the vet, and he confirmed that, lol.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back