My dog got the cone of shame and is depressed...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So Luna somehow got a puncture wound on her left paw going down and she started licking it, so the vet gave us antibiotics and the cone just in case she licks... Now she is super depressed, she has only eaten a tiny bit of food and wont drink her water... What should I do?
1025212100.jpg

Ahhh...poor baby...we've never had to use one of those, so I have no experience to share

Ahhh...poor baby...we've never had to use one of those, so I have no experience to share
Yah, this is the first we've had to do it as well... Its so sad

Won't eat/drink or can't? The photo makes the cone look enormous and stick out well past her nose. If it really does, and it's not just the photo, she may need a shorter one. After an operation my son's cat had a cone that was too big and he couldn't reach into his food or water bowls so they had to get him a smaller one.

Was she licking it before the vet visit?...after she injured it?

Check that the cone is not too long...ie...can she comfortably reach food and water or is her nose not getting close enough, let alone her mouth

Also check that the cone is not restricting her neck and throat....hairy mutts need a slightly looser fitting cone (and collar) to allow for the fur....Huskies have double coats (an outer coat and a softer downy undercoat) so make sure its not pulling her coat when she moves her head downwards as that will cause her pain (like if someone pulled your hair)

If the cone is too long, take it off and trim it so that she gets her nose and mouth to food and water but not to her poorly paw

If it is too tight...3 fingers side by side minimum tween collar/cone and skin for a double coated dog like a Husky, loosen it....if it will not loosen, return to the vet and get a more appropriate one

Won't eat/drink or can't? The photo makes the cone look enormous and stick out well past her nose. If it really does, and it's not just the photo, she may need a shorter one. After an operation my son's cat had a cone that was too big and he couldn't reach into his food or water bowls so they had to get him a smaller one.
Any shorter and she could reach her wound... She can still reach her food, cause she ate some...

Check that the cone is not too long...ie...can she comfortably reach food and water or is her nose not getting close enough, let alone her mouth

Also check that the cone is not restricting her neck and throat....hairy mutts need a slightly looser fitting cone (and collar) to allow for the fur....Huskies have double coats (an outer coat and a softer downy undercoat) so make sure its not pulling her coat when she moves her head downwards as that will cause her pain (like if someone pulled your hair)

If the cone is too long, take it off and trim it so that she gets her nose and mouth to food and water but not to her poorly paw

If it is too tight...3 fingers side by side minimum tween collar/cone and skin for a double coated dog like a Husky, loosen it....if it will not loosen, return to the vet and get a more appropriate one
I can fit 3 fingers in very comfotably

Any shorter and she could reach her wound...
I know what you mean. Our cat had an operation on his back foot in June. After the dressing came off we were told to leave the cone on for 3 more days but it seemed pointless after we saw him licking the foot with the cone still on.

I can fit 3 fingers in very comfotably
Watch her when she goes to eat or drink...those collar cones are very uncomfortable and awkward since they restrict all movement including not being able to see if potential predators are approaching from behind (its like putting blinkers on a horse)

Give her a day or two to get used to the thing on her that she doesn't like....but if she still is not happy to eat and drink normally, take it off and put an old pair of socks on the poorly paw so that she cannot lick the wound....make sure the socks are clean and prepare to lose socks around the house...and garden

I tried to get a better pic...
1026210948.jpg

Watch her when she goes to eat or drink...those collar cones are very uncomfortable and awkward since they restrict all movement including not being able to see if potential predators are approaching from behind (its like putting blinkers on a horse)

Give her a day or two to get used to the thing on her that she doesn't like....but if she still is not happy to eat and drink normally, take it off and put an old pair of socks on the poorly paw so that she cannot lick the wound....make sure the socks are clean and prepare to lose socks around the house...and garden
Ok! I may bring that up to my mom!

That cone has been very badly cut already....quite likely its caught her on a sharp edge (remember a sharp edge to her is not always a sharp edge to you)

It looks too long to me, as well....I wouldn't be able to stand having one of those things on my pups, I like the wrapped-paw advice from @wasmewasntit

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back