My dannio has had a near death experience

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mark89

Reaction score
28/11/19 I was cleaning my tanks ornaments and taking them out carefully, as I have 2 new little shrimp and as i put this ornament under the hot water, out of nowhere one of my danios dives out of some of the artificial grass attached to the ornament. I had no choice but to grab her with my bare hands quite roughly before she went down the drain ran and got her back to the tank. But since then (5days ago) she has stayed near the filter and is not interested in food at all some of her scales are clearly damaged and abit of her tail fin is damaged. What can I do to help?

Wait and see? It could just be pure shock or you could have injured her internal organs when you grapped her so roughly (I understand how that could happen so don't blame yourself).

She just may need some time to re-group on that near death experience or she may pass away. Does she have any favorite foods like tubiflex worms (many of my fish love these) - try offering her food - she's surely got to be very hungry right now.

I currently have a fish that's had swim bladder disorder for at least 6 weeks and has barely eaten, when she does eat it she may throw it all up a day or two later. She won't eat peas (for her constipation) but has tried a "pea soup" concoction I've made by smashing all the peas finely and adding garlic extract and human Miralax. Sometimes she drinks it, sometimes I have to force feed her (I have an insulin syringe without a needle) and sometimes she spits it all out. In any case I have no idea how this fish is staying alive. She seems to want to keep on living - I finally decided - all I can do is provide supportive care (like syringe feedings) and wait and see. As long as she's determined to live I'm going to work with her. I think that is all you can do for your fish. She may just be healing up an injury and it will take some time.

Weird things and goofy accidents happen with fish sometimes. Now you have had yours. This will never happen to you again. You will be watching.
Tell me about. :rolleyes:

Just wait and see. If it’s just been a couple of days, then it still is just probably rattled. Good luck! :)

It may have internal injuries simply from the jump to the sink. I had one hit the counter and died shortly after. If it’s still hanging on it may have a chance. Danio’s are tough little fish.

It may have internal injuries simply from the jump to the sink. I had one hit the counter and died shortly after. If it’s still hanging on it may have a chance. Danio’s are tough little fish.
They are very tough.

I remember when I had my first betta, I didn’t have a lid on the tank Andy it jumped out. Luckily I was in the room, and picked it off the floor and put it back in the tank. It was just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back