My cycling update thread...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Would have expected ammonia to be at 0ppm if nitrite is at 0ppm.

Could be a false reading of ammonia.

Did you double check the tests, do one more check of ammonia as it’s quite common to get false readings especially if made a mistake with number of drops of solution from bottle to test tube.

Also any water sample taken from tank is less than 1 inch of water surface can be a factor, always best to get 5ml sample of water from at least 2 inches below surface of tank water, this way you get a purer sample as water surface scum from can have an effect on results.

I use a clean turkey baster to get water sample from at least 3-4 inches under water surface, saves getting my hands and arm from getting wet as well!
Yah, I usually go about an inch under... I also have a lid, so the water stays pretty clear from contaminates... I could double check but its been over 12hrs since then LOL so its most likely 0 by now anyways... I will add 3ppm of ammonia today and take note of rhe time

Yah, I usually go about an inch under... I also have a lid, so the water stays pretty clear from contaminates... I could double check but its been over 12hrs since then LOL so its most likely 0 by now anyways... I will add 3ppm of ammonia today and take note of rhe time
Don't add ammonia unless/until it reads zero

Don't add ammonia unless/until it reads zero
It is... I mean it took 24hrs to rid of almost all the ammonia so in 12 hours it can totally rid of 0.25... I already added the ammonia so I'll test tomorrow around 10:40-11:00 AM

So, I tested today 24hrs after I added the ammonia yesterday and the results were 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites!!! The reason I didnt get a picture was because I showed my mom but while taking it back it slipped out and the vile shattered... I am going to add another dose of ammonia just to make sure it is cycled...

So, tested it again after adding another 3ppm ammonia to make sure it was cycled and ut came back as 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites... So today I will do a large water change and MAYBE I can get the fish in tomorrow.

So, tested it again after adding another 3ppm ammonia to make sure it was cycled and ut came back as 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites... So today I will do a large water change and MAYBE I can get the fish in tomorrow.
Yay! Congratulations your cycle is successfully done!

Now comes the exciting bit, getting your new fishy friends!! :fish::fish::fish:

Thank you! And thank you all for all your help! It has been mich appreciated... But I do have an issue now... I tested my ph and it is at 8.2... What should I do?
Well done :)

What is your tap water pH, after it's been allowed to stand overnight? If it's a lot lower, something in the tank is raising the pH.

What is your tap water pH, after it's been allowed to stand overnight? If it's a lot lower, something in the tank is raising the pH.
I'm letting a cup sit out over night to test it in the morning... Thanks

You asked this same question in another (new) thread, to which I just replied. Be careful not to run two threads on the same topic, this only gets confusing for members and you. My suggestion would be to keep the pH issue in the new thread...no member is going to want to read through 21 pages in this one, looking for data.

You asked this same question in another (new) thread, to which I just replied. Be careful not to run two threads on the same topic, this only gets confusing for members and you. My suggestion would be to keep the pH issue in the new thread...no member is going to want to read through 21 pages in this one, looking for data.
True, sorry... I forgot I posted about it in this thread. I'll keep it in the new thread

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back