My cycling update thread...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
What's the tank temp?
Is there a bubbler going?

Do you have your filter going at max flow?

What's the tank temp?
Is there a bubbler going?

Do you have your filter going at max flow?
Tank temp: 81F
No bubbler but I have a non operating sponge filter in there to grow bacteria so I can quickly cycle the quarantine tank...
Yes the filter is at max

Tank temp: 81F
No bubbler but I have a non operating sponge filter in there to grow bacteria so I can quickly cycle the quarantine tank...
Yes the filter is at max
Get that sponge filter going, help oxygenate the tank = faster growing BB

Get that sponge filter going, help oxygenate the tank = faster growing BB
Oh ok! Also... The tank water keeps going down in a few days due to evaporation... Any ideas so I dont have to keep adding more water and ammonia?

Oh ok! Also... The tank water keeps going down in a few days due to evaporation... Any ideas so I dont have to keep adding more water and ammonia?
topping up due to evaporation wont effect ammonia so don't worry about having to do a bit of a top up here and there.

The water evaporates and is pretty pure (all the ammonia and stuff gets left being slightly more concentrated). So when you add more water back to top up it just goes back to how it was.

It only when you remove the water with the ammonia still in it (like a water change) that you have to worry about adding the ammonia back again.

topping up due to evaporation wont effect ammonia so don't worry about having to do a bit of a top up here and there.

The water evaporates and is pretty pure (all the ammonia and stuff gets left being slightly more concentrated). So when you add more water back to top up it just goes back to how it was.

It only when you remove the water with the ammonia still in it (like a water change) that you have to worry about adding the ammonia back again.
Oh ok whew... Thanks

Ok... I was leaving it open (for now) due to ease of access and bacteria "landing" on the water... But I can ig
The bacteria will "find" the water column just fine with the lid on, and closed

So I topped off the water today and my ammonia is reading 2-2.5 ppm... Its definitely a smaller amount... I still think I have a teensy bit of the nitrites and nitrates but the color change is so minimal I'm not sure... Any ideas?

@xxBarneyxx GUESS WHAT??? I HAVE .25 NITRITES!!! MY VERY FIRST NITRITE BABIES!!!

Attachments

• 1023210930.jpg
    1023210930.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 15
Good for you. Mine is still at 0 nitrites after a week. It looks my ammonia went down a little though to 2ppm. I am going to add a little ammonia and test again in a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back