My Current Tank Setup (anyone know about a good substrate?)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MagicGirl33

Reaction score
Currently, I have a red sea 240 gallon fish tank complete with 4 reefLED 90 lights with mounting arms, a reefer skimmer 600, and 2 units of reefwave 45. I have a heater on the way along with a circular air stone. I also have all the water tests ready along with all the proper nutrients and conditioners plus I had a good recommendation to use an acrylic sheet for a cover that lets light shine through. The only thing I really need is a budget substrate. Preferably sand since I plan on getting kuhli loaches and they have soft underbellies but I also want something dark colored to make my other fish feel more at home. There are good substrates but the all cost insane amounts! I was told to use blasting powder like black beauty or black diamond but they are not available in my location for a decent price unless I'm willing to pay $200 for 50 lbs. Anybody know one that actually costs less than $1 per pound?

yes, Carbi-sea fiji pink is an option but its not black. I'll see if I could find a black one

Black Diamond blasting sand is black in color and inert. It is used to sand blast metal part to remove rust and paint. medium grit black diamond blasting sand is often use but it might to a bit to abrasive for the fish you want. But i don't know for sure since I have never had Loachees. Fine black diamond blasting sand in available in a fine grain which might be better for loaches. It is available on amazon.com. The amazon canada site did have 25lb bags available. I was able to find a 10lb bag on the amazon US site.

Big tanks are expensive. You need at least 240 pounds of whatever you pick for a.tank that large. You can get aquarium gravel at a pet store for like $25-30 for a 25# bag of decent stuff....not sure why you want to use stuff made for stripping material down to bare metal but....I spose. That stuff may be a lil to sharp for khulis. But you're gonna.spend.a.couple hundred bucks.for substrate unless you make your own.

You could try playground sand from the home improvement store maybe....that stuff is like $5 for a 50# bag......clean it real good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back