My Cory Catfish Fry died only a day after they're born :(

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You are definitely wrong on this.
I don't exactly know where you get your information but it is simply incorrect. Kept several Cory species over the years, they are all wellfed, in great condition and all eat the eggs when they get the chance.
The reason probably is that they are not in a natural situation en encountering the eggs ( and fry ) in there small enclosure which they wouldn't in nature.
My Corydoras never ate their eggs, although I did feed them really well.
It is probably related to some kind of "boredom" they experience in the tanks, it's inevitable no matter how well built the tank is, in nature everything is new all the time. Or it's just due to some kind of mecanism of some species to controle their population.

Last edited:
No animal on earth goes through the process of producing young and then actively eating them. The whole purpose of producing young is to ensure the survival of the species. When the conditions are correct your fish won't eat their eggs or fry.

You can put them in a breeder. But take in consideration the holes in the breeder because cory fry are so small that they may easily be able to go through the holes of a regular breeder
ok ill put a tissue and some small sands on the tissue so they can have fun in that and wont escape
My Corydoras never ate their eggs, although I did feed them really well.
oh mine are not fed very very well but i think they are ok, the guppies sometimes steal all the food

ok ill put a tissue and some small sands on the tissue so they can have fun in that and wont escape

oh mine are not fed very very well but i think they are ok, the guppies sometimes steal all the food

I would not use tissue if by this you mean, "tissue" such as Kleenex or Facelle Royale or whatever. These are paper and will fall apart and make a mess. They can also have dyes and chemicals. I don't know if fish might mistakenly eat the bits, but I would not risk it. You can buy spawning nets made of fine mesh nylon; I've used one of these when I found and saved a couple eggs. Put a dried leaf (oak, maple, almond...just make sure it is dead dry) or two in the bottom of the net and infusoria will be present from the decomposition.

There is much more to this than simply feeding the parent fish well. I would not recommend over-feeding fish for any reason, and that is only making the environment they live in worse biologically.

The difference between fish spawning in their natural habitats and spawning in the aquarium should be obvious--the space. I am sure some of the eggs are eaten in the habitat when fish spawn, but the area they spawn in in so vast that many eggs will escape predation. In our aquarium we are confining fish to a very small area by comparison, and the parents as well as any other fish present (if you have them in a community tank) will be much more likely to know what is going on and eat any eggs they come across. Fish release pheromones when they communicate spawning, and others in that species "read" these signals and know exactly what is occurring. It's like sounding a dinner gong.

I would not use tissue if by this you mean, "tissue" such as Kleenex or Facelle Royale or whatever. These are paper and will fall apart and make a mess. They can also have dyes and chemicals. I don't know if fish might mistakenly eat the bits, but I would not risk it. You can buy spawning nets made of fine mesh nylon; I've used one of these when I found and saved a couple eggs. Put a dried leaf (oak, maple, almond...just make sure it is dead dry) or two in the bottom of the net and infusoria will be present from the decomposition.

There is much more to this than simply feeding the parent fish well. I would not recommend over-feeding fish for any reason, and that is only making the environment they live in worse biologically.

The difference between fish spawning in their natural habitats and spawning in the aquarium should be obvious--the space. I am sure some of the eggs are eaten in the habitat when fish spawn, but the area they spawn in in so vast that many eggs will escape predation. In our aquarium we are confining fish to a very small area by comparison, and the parents as well as any other fish present (if you have them in a community tank) will be much more likely to know what is going on and eat any eggs they come across. Fish release pheromones when they communicate spawning, and others in that species "read" these signals and know exactly what is occurring. It's like sounding a dinner gong.
no i mean rags or kitchen towel...
wait none of them are towels...
they dont fall apart after many days in my tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back