My cories schooling in groups of 4.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chen jing kai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently just got four more corydoras to help complete a school in my 20 gallon. At first all 6 of them were schooling together quite a bit but after a few days I realised some of the corydoras started gathering in a group of 4, while the other 2 were elsewhere in the tank. Is there any reason for this? Thank you.

They tend to group together when they're stressed, so normal to see that behaviour after first introduced to the tank. Then they'll just go off and do their own thing aftet that.
Their mating behaviour shows usually in the morning and the males will dart quickly around the tank chasing a female.

Yes, totally normal. The Corys in my 20g long (4) swim together, but the Corys in my 29g (6) tend to slip up in 2-3 groups.

So it is actually good for them to not be in groups of 6 all the time? Because they are not stressed correct?

So it is actually good for them to not be in groups of 6 all the time? Because they are not stressed correct?
Not 'all the time', yes. Corys are like little puppies, they'll play together in groups but that doesn't mean they're stressed. If they're all huddled in a group together somewhere in the tank then I'd say they were a bit stressed. As long as they're all eating and not showing signs of disease then don't worry

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back