My Clown Plec

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simplyfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I frequently have to move decorations around just to check my clown plec is still alive. I occasionally see the end of his fins popping out from under the bogwood!

Would adding a couple more similar fish make him more confident in the tank or are they just natural hiders?

I was under the impression they were nocturnal and if they aren't, they sure act like it. I have two and I would say my original didn't become noticeably more active after getting the second one. It took about 2-3 weeks for me to see them on a regular basis.

from what ive read they just like to hide, id like to get one when my tanks set up 

I think it's all about whether they feel happy in the set up or not as to how often you'll see them, and it seems to be almost impossible to tell what, exactly, it is they like as well!

I've got one that's 16 years old, and for years and years I never saw him. He's been in large tanks, small tanks and with a variety of different fish, all well planted set up with plenty of caves though; even in a little tank with only nine dwarf emerald rasboras for company I hardly saw him.

I've recently moved him to my green neon/marbled hatchet/glass cat/corydoras set up and he's out most days now 
sad2.gif

More and you'll need more hiding places or they will fight - very territorial from what I understand.

Just picked one up myself - beautiful fish! But very, very shy.  The tank I have it in, is in a low traffic area.  From a distance I see it out on the drift wood often. However, any attempt to creep forward and its off (quick fish too!)

I drop some food in at night and in the morning its gone so I know its good :) 

Otherwise, as it does not 'clean algee' very well and is extreamly shy; I don't reccommend unless like me, you just love its look and are okay with viewing from a distance. (or tail under a rock) lol

Have a rule - 2 trips to the fish store!  1 to look at what I think I may like... Search by latin name and research... go back to buy if I'm okay with what I read!

Cheers - stay back a bit and don't move in the evening (nite light on) and you'll get to view the clown looking for food!

I have a variety of plecos in my tank. I am addicted. I have a 180 gallon. Luckily I mine for a while had a hiding spot I could see into. He was easily disturbed by other plecos quick to do the tail wag. He was also very nocturnal and never clung to anything like the glass. Mostly just ate plant roots and wafers. By 2 years old I had him coming out for the wafers so could see some more activity. I had a bushy nose kick him out of his spot and didn't see him again till I upgraded to the 180 I have now. That was four years! Three months ago(ish) I got him a lady friend. Saw them both the first two days but not since. The males are usually more"hairy" I believe. With plecos. In my opinion or at least in my tank it is a toss up. I've seen

I also have a clown pleco, and while he is not entirely nocturnal, he does have an adversion to bright lights. He has a small cave made of plants roots and some lava rocks in the back corner of the tank. its not uncomon for me to have no sighting of him for several weeks at a time. He use to be out all the time when i had a low watt plant bulb, however when i upgraded to a T4 system for my plants which was significantly brighter, his behavour changed. he now spends most of the day in his cave and only is out after the lights are out. Basing on my own experience and what others are saying on this thread, your clown pleco is showing normal behaviour and you should not be worried.   

Most reactions

trending

Back