The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
809D89DC-D0E1-4296-A309-5799FDC1685C.jpeg
I have 2 bristlenose plecos but one only comes out at night. This one lays low and watches. His name is Lolly and heā€™s about 2.5 yrs old.

I love bristlenose plecoā€™s! You can tell by his color and fins heā€™s not happy with you looking at him. Ha ha! Mine does that if I move too fast around him but quickly darkens back up. Two males in the same tank or is one a girl? Iā€™d love to get a girlfriend for mine, but I just wouldnā€™t know what to do with all the adorable babies. :rofl:

I love bristlenose plecoā€™s! You can tell by his color and fins heā€™s not happy with you looking at him. Ha ha! Mine does that if I move too fast around him but quickly darkens back up. Two males in the same tank or is one a girl? Iā€™d love to get a girlfriend for mine, but I just wouldnā€™t know what to do with all the adorable babies. :rofl:
He does clamp his fins when I take pics but heā€™s always that color. The other pleco is in another tank.

He does clamp his fins when I take pics but heā€™s always that color. The other pleco is in another tank.
Oh thatā€™s different than mine. Mines always dark with a white polka dot pattern unless I spook him. Although I have read that there are a ton of variants of BN plecoā€™s so maybe ours are different variations. Ha ha.

Cool! :)

How many gallons is he in? And, approximately how big is he? :)

Are they worth the bio-load? :)

Are they worth the bio-load? :)
To me they are... out of all my fish my pleco gives me the most attitude, he is the most destructive digger, and Iā€™ve had him since he was a baby so of course I love him the most. Bwahaha. Second are my group of emerald Cory. I think I have a thing for catfish. Maybe I should make an all small catfish tank out of my upcoming tank project. :|

And.....you can really get to know them, because they live for so long! :lol:

Also, how big of a tank do they need? I have heard 20 gallons, but my info could be wrong! :)

20 gallon is okay imo. Just wouldnā€™t put them with a lot of other fish or poop machines. Ha ha. Iā€™ve read in some articles though that 29 is preferred for them.

No, they arenā€™t worth it as far as cleanup crew. My Japanese trapdoors eat more fish gunk then he does but he sure is cute!

40A2E64B-8AAF-4D4F-8906-380935F73979.jpeg
LooK! My other BN pleco came out this evening! Bought them at the same time in the same tank but donā€™t look at all alike!

DF7EF0B2-EEBD-4583-B798-EC0E0FB3C4F5.jpeg
He looks like mine! Yours is so adorable. Mines name is Plucky.

Last edited:
I have two bn pleco.. one in my 35 gallon tall hex and one in my 29 gallon tank. The one in the 29 gallon sometimes come out to the front of the tank when I am nearby as if he is saying ā€œwhere is my algae wafer.ā€ I drop in a wafer and he brings it back into his cave. Iā€™ll post a pic of him soon. He a good looking bn as far as bn plecos go. He often rearranges the sand in the tank to his liking. I have a marble slab weighing down the driftwood and the slab is laying flat on the sand. He dug a tunnel under the marble and made himself kind of a cave. His name is Nessie and he is named after the Loch Ness Monster. Very interesting fish. They live about 10 years.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back