My brine shrimp haven't hatched, why?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I followed all the instructions, but there was a power outtage of unknown length one night. Could that have been the problem? What might I have done wrong?

I followed all the instructions, but there was a power outtage of unknown length one night. Could that have been the problem? What might I have done wrong?
What exact instructions did you follow?

Brine shrimp eggs are actually cysts (which is how they are shelf stable). They do eventually expire and depending on brand, some have terrible hatch rates.

I have been having some really good success with a brine shrimp alternative for raising fry. It’s much more convenient and arguably more nutritious than BBS.

They probably just need more time.
Make sure they are in salt water.
Have an airline bubbling away in the container.
Keep the water warm (24-30C).
Wait 24-48 hours. If the water is cold it will take longer.

They probably just need more time.
Make sure they are in salt water.
Have an airline bubbling away in the container.
Keep the water warm (24-30C).
Wait 24-48 hours. If the water is cold it will take longer.
I've done all of that and it has been 4 days with no sign of life. The power outtage would have resulted in some drop in temperature plus no air stone of course. Perhaps that was the problem.

I don't remember all this grief from sea monkeys :lol:

power failure and cold water doesnt stop them hatching. it could be a bad batch of eggs. try again and if it happens again, try some different eggs.

how salty is the water?
it should be sea water strength

power failure and cold water doesnt stop them hatching. it could be a bad batch of eggs. try again and if it happens again, try some different eggs.

how salty is the water?
it should be sea water strength
I followed the instructions for mixing up the salt water. Shame it hasn't worked this time :(

Most reactions

trending

Back