My Brackish Tank (10/12)

ChrissFishes01

Reaction score
I set up my camera lighting on my brackish tank tonight and got some cool pics, I think.

Molly 1 JPG.jpg

Puffer 1 JPG.jpg

This next one I cropped out of a large photo that was taken at full zoom about 6" away from the glass:
BBG 1.JPG

I then cropped that down to this, and managed to retain quite a bit of detail:
BBG 1 Close-up.jpg

Always happy when things work out so nice!

OP
ChrissFishes01

ChrissFishes01

Reaction score
Is that a pea puffer?
is it safe to mix with other fish?
I saw these in a local store last weekend.
Nah, pea puffers are freshwater and are pretty aggressive. Much better in species-only tanks. Here's mine:
DP 1 JPEG.jpg

DP 2 JPG.jpg

The guy in this tank is a Figure 8 Puffer - needs brackish water, and has a temperament that varies pretty wildly by individual. This one happens to very relaxed and gentle - not all of them are so nice!

OP
ChrissFishes01

ChrissFishes01

Reaction score
How is the fig with the bumblebee gobies? I thought they were agressive
All puffers should be considered aggressive - even stuff like South American Puffers. They all nip and are territorial to some extent.

Figure 8's vary by individual - this guy has been with everything from fancy guppies (and their fry) to Limia Nigrofasciatus to the BBGs and has never nipped, as far as I know. He's very timid and gentle. Other F8's can be a little more ornery, so it's luck of the draw.

Here's a picture of the balloon mollies and platies he was with when I first got him - note the long fins. Never had a problem.

Didn't bother the guppies, either:

OP
ChrissFishes01

ChrissFishes01

Reaction score
Never seen those before! So brackish fish require different conditions? And can't be mixed with ther fish?
Yeah, brackish fish need some marine salt in their water - just not as much as saltwater fish do. As far as compatibility, it really just depends on which species. You can't mix them with freshwater fish - generally, the lack of salt causes disease/organ failure in brackish animals, and salt will kill freshwater animals in high enough levels.

Reactions: CRS

Most reactions