April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

.... I read that so far and said "aww noooo" outloud followed by "oh! Excellent!" out loud!!

Fingers crossed for the wrigglers :D

Akasha72 said:
.... I read that so far and said "aww noooo" outloud followed by "oh! Excellent!" out loud!!

Fingers crossed for the wrigglers
biggrin.png

That was my reaction when I first looked into the tank haha.
Hope the mom doesn't eat the fry once they become free swimming.

"The snack that smiles back!" Don't know why that's the first thing that popped into my head, when I thought about the mom eating her own babies lol...

don't let them get hungry enough and don't disturb them too much. I found they seem to eat their babies for two reasons - one they arn't getting enough to eat and two they think their offspring are under threat and so will eat them themselves rather than allow them to be eaten by some 'preditor'. This my reasoning behind covering their tank and leaving them be. I suspect it's the second reason 

What have you got in place for the wrigglers to feed on once they reach free swimming stage? Have you got some moss in the tank? Moss it good for providing infusoria for fry to feed on

Akasha72 said:
don't let them get hungry enough and don't disturb them too much. I found they seem to eat their babies for two reasons - one they arn't getting enough to eat and two they think their offspring are under threat and so will eat them themselves rather than allow them to be eaten by some 'preditor'. This my reasoning behind covering their tank and leaving them be. I suspect it's the second reason 

What have you got in place for the wrigglers to feed on once they reach free swimming stage? Have you got some moss in the tank? Moss it good for providing infusoria for fry to feed on

I see. I'll make sure to keep that in mind. I feed all my fish twice a day, once in the morning before I leave and again when I get home in the afternoon/evening.

I currently have some java moss growing in their tank, as well as some Cabomba.caroliniana and Myriophyllum.scabratum. Once the fry get big enough I have microworm cultures and bbs ready to go for them.

awesome man. how many can you count? would you ship some?

cooledwhip said:

Not sure about how many there are, don't want to disturb the pair and their fry. I only check on the rams during feeding. I'll try counting them again once they put on some noticeable size. When I initially saw their nest 2 days ago, there was about 180-200 eggs.

As for shipping them (once they get to selling size), I'm afraid that's not possible for me, as I don't have the permit to ship fish over the boarder.
Sorry.

You'd actually have better chances of finding quality local bred rams in the US. I think there's a few breeders in the US that specialize in rams. If you want I can send you the info over PM.

Dominus_XVIII said:

Not sure about how many there are, don't want to disturb the pair and their fry. I only check on the rams during feeding. I'll try counting them again once they put on some noticeable size. When I initially saw their nest 2 days ago, there was about 180-200 eggs.

As for shipping them (once they get to selling size), I'm afraid that's not possible for me, as I don't have the permit to ship fish over the boarder.
Sorry.

You'd actually have better chances of finding quality local bred rams in the US. I think there's a few breeders in the US that specialize in rams. If you want I can send you the info over PM.

Yeah I know I can get some nice ones in the US. I already have a pair I just thought it would be cool to get some from YOU since you bred them.

cooledwhip said:

Sorry.

Yeah I know I can get some nice ones in the US. I already have a pair I just thought it would be cool to get some from YOU since you bred them.

I see. If I had the means and permits to ship them I most definitely would.

This is my first time successfully breeding them, so I'm really ecstatic.

twice a day feeding is good. They should never be hungry on that. My lot get twice a day - except my fry. They get three times a day. Happy to read that you've got the microworms going for them. They should do really well on that. Mum and Dad will probably eat them too so I'd add plenty three times a day if you are able :)

Checked up on the pair and their fry earlier this morning (8:30am), while I was feeding them, and things are progressing quite well.
The wigglers are becoming more active, startling to roll and bounce a little. 3 more days until they start free swimming, or so I hope.

As always, I keep everyone posted
smile.png

yes please. I've got a good feeling about this batch :)

Another morning update: The fry are starting to jump/wiggle around a lot more, and the parents have relocated them to a larger/wider pit they dug. The pit also happens to be directly under my java fern, which is now uprooted. Guess the roots will help serve as shelter and security.

Will update everyone again tomorrow morning
smile.png

there'll probably be a good source of infusoria among the ferns too. This is where all my baby panda cories are coming from in my tank. If the parents lay their eggs amongst the fern the babies survive. I'm getting at least 2 per month now. 

I'll wait for tomorrows update ... not long to free swimming now :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back